Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been to several track days and watched son-in-law ride. I've seen folks wipe out, roll down the track and get up and walk away. They wear heavy, heavy boots - full body leathers and gloves and full face helmets. They are as protected as anybody can be under those circumstances. But, I'm still nervous as he((, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've been to several track days and watched son-in-law ride. I've seen folks wipe out, roll down the track and get up and walk away. They wear heavy, heavy boots - full body leathers and gloves and full face helmets. They are as protected as anybody can be under those circumstances. But, I'm still nervous as he((, lol!

those tracks are usually made of pretty soft materials so wipe-outs aren't quite so hard on the body. but like you say... still... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
those tracks are usually made of pretty soft materials so wipe-outs aren't quite so hard on the body. but like you say... still... :)
I wish that this was one of those kind of tracks. I hope....but I dunno. It's a premiere motorcycle racing track - paved - not dirt. The track length is 2.38 miles and the record is a minute and a half - 1:31. I have no idea how to compute that, but it's too fast for my comfort!
Thankfully, this is not a race. Track days are put on as a learning experience. They have professional racers giving lessons to the novices. I think that's better than just turning them loose on the track. If you're gonna do something like that it helps to have lesson from the guys who really know how to do it.

Don't tell anybody but I kinda hope the bike breaks down!

Pic from the track website - NOT my grandson - thank goodness!

1632534869379.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That picture makes me hurt already! Dontcha know I'd be on the ground!!! Not sure I'd want to watch that....but, You gotta go under the circumstances. 😁 think that's a mattress he's riding over? 🤔🙄😱

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish that this was one of those kind of tracks. I hope....but I dunno. It's a premiere motorcycle racing track - paved - not dirt. The track length is 2.38 miles and the record is a minute and a half - 1:31. I have no idea how to compute that, but it's too fast for my comfort!
Thankfully, this is not a race. Track days are put on as a learning experience. They have professional racers giving lessons to the novices. I think that's better than just turning them loose on the track. If you're gonna do something like that it helps to have lesson from the guys who really know how to do it.

Don't tell anybody but I kinda hope the bike breaks down!

Pic from the track website - NOT my grandson - thank goodness!

View attachment 16637

oh, i thought you said something about dirt-bikes, yeah those are different races when it's on hard pavements.

couch surfing is looking better and better... :)

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
There is a paved track nearby. At the previous residence, we could hear even the announcers.

The CIO of one of my previous employers was a hobby racer. Laid it down one afternoon and messed himself up good. The board forced him to quit racing as part of his employment agreement.

Hoping for the best in your situation

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH wow - so extremely glad that the track day is over and that S-I-L and grandson both came through their rides successfully. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for everyone. The very first practice lap of the day we saw a rider go down and when I say he must have rolled 25 or 30 yards down the track I'm not even exaggerating. One of the scariest things I've ever seen. And, that wasn't the worst of it. There were at least 7 or 8 "separated from their motorcycle" accidents. Most of them, thankfully, resulted in nothing more than scratched up motorcycle and some bruised ego's. The last two, however resulted in the Life Flight helicopter being called. It's rare enough to call Life Flight once - but twice within two hours of each other. One of those accidents involved two riders who clipped each other. One rode away - the other sat up on the track but never tried to stand. Good reason - word on the track was he had a fractured femur. Not an easy bone to break. The next one was a 62 yo man who went down (too dang old to be out there anyway!) :hide Thrilled my guys are ok and made it off the track and back home safe and sound.

That was my weekend, being worried, being more worried, being worried again, and finally relieved that it was over. I could go a very long time without ever doing that again.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely agree! Even the most seasoned of the racers out there said they'd never seen anything like it. I go strictly to support the fam. But I do believe that seeing all the falls was good for my grandson to see how badly it could go and to be a lot more careful.