Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There is something terribly, terribly wrong with me. I don't know what to do about it either. It's strange and weird and has come over me very suddenly. I'm cleaning house. Not ordinary every day stuff - but the kind where you move the furniture. The kind where you pull all the cushions off the furniture and stuff the vacuum wand down in all the crevices. But - the things I've found!! A sock. Now I can't blame the washing machine! A dime. Now I'll never be broke. And...thanks maybe to grandkids (they're not here so I can blame them) I found popcorn. I think popcorn is kinda like a petrified Twinkie - it never goes away.

Back to it - woo hoo!
Are you pregnant? :gig

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is something terribly, terribly wrong with me. I don't know what to do about it either. It's strange and weird and has come over me very suddenly. I'm cleaning house. ...

when it is so hot outside that you can't get much done, but you're used to doing things to keep moving it could perhaps be that energy coming out in a way and it is good to do something useful with it instead of what i've been doing (wiggling my foot)...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when it is so hot outside that you can't get much done, but you're used to doing things to keep moving it could perhaps be that energy coming out in a way and it is good to do something useful with it instead of what i've been doing (wiggling my foot)...
I'll take it! I have a very hard time doing nothing. It's a curse I tell ya, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can you capture that fairy dust and sell it ?
I wish! LOL! Especially since somebody else won MY Mega Millions...

I've been soooo good today I'm about to reward myself with a bedtime cocktail. Not wine - but a real grown up cocktail! I'm probably a little too excited about that. 🍸 Cheers!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your husbands back issues sound serious. Is there any treatment besides pain management? Or is “treatment” some form of midevil torture?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @tortoise. I haven't seen it but I'll check it out.

The pain management that's been suggested is image guided cortisone shots into the two problem areas. I'm ok with that. What he really needs is PT. (rant coming - sorry)

Remember - I love him, lol.

Years ago when I was younger, heavier and going through pregnancies and raising little ones my back was horrible. Had all the work ups and was told I had 'degenerative lumbar disc disease.' Basically a narrowing of the cushion between the discs. My first DH and I lived in a tiny house in town. No animals except a dog and a tiny little garden. I had barely any physical activity. No core strength. Back was bad enough that if I sneezed I would end up face-planting because I literally couldn't bend. There were nights that I would crawl to the bathroom and need help getting on the toilet. Times when I spent all day on the floor with my kids because I couldn't pick them up. It was bad - but it was my fault. I was in terrible physical shape and I suffered for it. We moved to this house. I had a big garden, lots of animals and I was forced to move my body. I started weight-lifting, lost some weight, and fixed myself. I may not look like it - but I'm strong. My back will get sore now, but it is fixable with some light stretching and a couple of Motrin. All of this to say - BTDT. I know a little something about bad backs - and I know my husband.

His MRI didn't show any herniation. His MRI showed arthritis and a narrowing of several discs. Same issue I had/have. Basically, he has arthritis in his spine. That sucks. But, he also has ZERO core strength. He sits at least 14 hours a day. He also has the worst posture you've ever seen and it contributes to the overall issue. Am I blaming the victim - yep. Does that suck - yep. Do I feel like a horrible person - yep. BUT - he needs tough love and as his wife I feel obligated to deliver it, lol. His average step count is one-tenth of a mile per day. One tenth! He will end up a permanent cripple if he doesn't start moving. He gets out of his chair twice a day. Once to go to the mailbox and once to feed the dogs. One-tenth of a mile ... SMH.

This whole issue started with a stress test. He was forced to actually walk and walk fast during the test and he strained his back because the treadmill was at an uphill angle. Two weeks before the test I told him he needed to start walking. Did he? Uh-no.

He was also told that surgery is not a cure for this. The suggestion is to get the cortisone shot, get past the worst of this pain and start serious PT. Thank goodness for this doc. He's an orthopedic surgeon who never rushes to surgery. He will try everything else before surgery and he does NOT recommend surgery for this issue. A few years ago I rolled my ankle and tore a tendon. Went to a podiatrist who immediately recommended surgery. Went to him and he said not necessary. PT got me moving again.

This doctor said something to me years ago and I've never forgotten it. "The body has an amazing ability to heal itself if you give it chance." I love him too, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This doctor said something to me years ago and I've never forgotten it. "The body has an amazing ability to heal itself if you give it chance." I love him too, lol!

yep, that's why i garden, good exercise, meaningful and useful exercise. gotta keep moving some. if you rest you rust.

Latest posts