Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We finally got away from winter for a day or so. Decided yesterday to separate the bucklings. Got em all caught up and moved to a different pen. Went back out later and most of 'em were back out with the herds and their moms. ARGH! Caught the escapees and moved 'em again. Most of 'em were still separate this morning so I jumped on the opportunity to milk several does. Stoopid does forgot how to stand still. Eh - not really all their fault. I tried milking in the big bar where there's only a makeshift milk stand. Fail... Not that I didn't get 'em milked but let's just say we had a difference of opinion on the definition of "stand still."

Stuck some seed potatoes in some tubs. Wasn't going to reuse the tubs, but decided that the ones that are still in good shape shouldn't lie fallow, lol. Got rid of the ones that were crumbling, but not until I salvaged the dirt in 'em.

Goats decided to help with winter garden clean up in the north garden. I wasn't exactly in agreement with their timing, but they really didn't do anything I wasn't already thinking about doing. Only real loss were the two heads of cabbage that I hadn't gotten around to harvesting yet.

Did harvest a big ol' batch of collards yesterday out of the south garden. They were last night's dinner along with some jalapeno sausage and cornbread. Yummy! About to remove the rest of the asian greens and clean up to get ready to plant BEANS! I'm excited. I think I'll actually get started on spring planting this week. It's about time! Better not get cold again...I'm quite over it.

I'm totally over baby goats, lol! You know how you raise your kids and when they get to be teenagers you totally start to look forward to them spreading their wings and moving on?That's the way I feel about the baby goats now. It's time for them to go. Soon! Very, very soon. Need to contact my buckling buyers. :( I'll probably list some separately and hope they go to breeder homes.

Down to 3 round bales. Won't be putting those out for free feeding. Will probably start doling it out by hand when they finish the one that's out now. Hoping for a little rain. Just a little...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear ya!! I agree 😁....kids separation/escapees, mom forgets how to stand --- surprising, given how SMART they are and memory of an elephant! They never forget how to unlatch a gate! Oh, well -- ya got milk!! :drool. Now to keep a couple in milk...all summer🤣. That's not the hard part, person continuing is.

Hey, those tubs can go another season. I like potatoes in containers -- dump instead of dig. 👍Plus they don't take a lot of amendments...poorer soil is best.

We've had what's probably the last cold spurt here. I'm behind on doing any garden but, planning to go for it next week! Gotta move 2 goats out. I have one hold out to kid. Then good for another 4 months, some Boer due.

Ya did great to get all that accomplished!!👏

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You got a lot done! Going to be a beautiful day today, high of 82F degrees! But I’ll be gone, have CPA appointment. I’ve got to finish my two closet shelf towers! I lost my mojo on them when I quit at Christmas and haven’t cared about them since. Utility room is my paint booth and it’s an awful mess! I keep going outside to play!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got on a planting roll! In my quest for tomatoes I decided to put some in big pots and raise them in the front yard. Maybe the stinkbugs won't find them there. I'll still plant some in the garden - as decoys, lol. We have two big decorative pots on either side of the front door. I used to try to keep ornamentals in them, but DH stuck some habaneros in there a few years ago so that's what we grow there now. I replanted those pots also. Habaneros in one and Bulgarian Carrot hot peppers in the other. Weird yes - but that's just the way we roll.

Did some fence patching also. Stupid little bucklings can get through the bigger holes on the stock panels so I covered them over with some 2 x 4 welded wire. That was fun...not. But now it's done.

We need rain. How weird is it to say that. Pasture is eaten down to nubs by the horses. I have them pulled up and nobody gets out on the pasture again until it gets wet and grows. Might be a long summer!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got some pics today so I can start listing goats. Noticed that one of 'em has some pretty cool markings. Seems I have a cat/goat. Do you see it?

1679528590777.jpeg

Latest posts