Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grain and groceries, yeah, your financial feelings are hurt. :(
Under most circumstances that would be true, lol. Right now grain and groceries are only a drop in the bucket compared to what I've spent in the last two months. Since, the first of April: I've bought home repair supplies, paid contractors, bought a new washer and dryer, a new battery powered self-propelled walk-behind mower, a new 50inch Toro zero turn riding mower AND a new car. I put a lot of stuff on a cash back card and I pay it off in full every month. They wouldn't let me put the car on it, lol!

The good news is that the spending spree is over! I'd like to say it was fun - but it wasn't.

Now the push is on to get a year's worth of hay.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a day. Chopped onions for hours. I'm determined to get the last of these onions dehydrated. I think after this batch is done I can finish it off with one more batch. Absolutely zero chance I'll grow onions again anytime soon. I should have at least a years worth of dehydrated ones. Holding on to some fresh ones too. I hope will store well cuz I'm sick of chopping onions!

Picked up 3 more rounds and will go back and get 3 more as soon as I get these out of the trailer. That will be on the agenda tomorrow. Mowed everything today too.

Milked a goat the other day and YUCK! I've never had off flavored milk in any of my goats - but this was totally yuck. Noticed that her baby was favoring one teat also. Soooo, when I milked her yesterday I kept the milk from each teat separate. One tastes fine and the other one doesn't. Didn't even do a mastitis check - just treated her this afternoon with Today in the off-tasting teat. No swelling, no lumps or clumps in the milk - just tastes bad. I've only ever had one goat with mastitis and she was obviously sick...feverish...off feed...swollen hot udder, with nasty, clumpy milk. Treated her and she recovered nicely.

Need to go shower all the grass and dust off of me. I'm icky and sticky and probably a little stinky too. Ugh.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Need to go shower all the grass and dust off of me. I'm icky and sticky and probably a little stinky too. Ugh.

sorry about the bad tasting milk and possible complications for the goat. i hope it clears up!

i was going to wonder if they'd somehow eaten some onions, but then it would taste funny on all sides.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! The last three bales of hay I got were totally misguided. For whatever reason they thought they could just live in the trailer forever. Nope - not gonna happen. It took me nearly 3 hours to get those 3 bales unloaded and moved to the hay holding spot. Up and down off the tractor....in and out of the trailer...arrange and then rearrange the straps I use to pull the bales out. My legs got a heckuva workout today and they're not real happy with me right now. Well, too dang bad cuz I still need to get more hay and will go through that entire process again the next time I need to unload.

Horses and goats are both getting pasture time today. Needed to get 'em out of the way for hay moving. Don't need 'em deciding to go exploring when I've got a gate open. They love me bunches right now, lol.

Decided that was enough outside stuff right now so I came inside to do something with the last of the cabbages I picked. I've been seeing recipes for canned coleslaw - so I'm gonna give it a try. It's not techncially coleslaw - more like pickled cabbage I guess? Anyway, I'm gonna try it. Cabbage and it's friends carrots, onions and peppers are cut up and getting a salt bath right now. I need to make a pickling liquid to go over it then it will get a nice hot waterbath . It's vinegar based so it doesn't have to be pressure canned. I'm kinda looking forward to it so by golly, it better be good!

All this work is making me hungry. Needa go find some lunch!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
R
Oh my goodness! The last three bales of hay I got were totally misguided. For whatever reason they thought they could just live in the trailer forever. Nope - not gonna happen. It took me nearly 3 hours to get those 3 bales unloaded and moved to the hay holding spot. Up and down off the tractor....in and out of the trailer...arrange and then rearrange the straps I use to pull the bales out. My legs got a heckuva workout today and they're not real happy with me right now. Well, too dang bad cuz I still need to get more hay and will go through that entire process again the next time I need to unload.

Horses and goats are both getting pasture time today. Needed to get 'em out of the way for hay moving. Don't need 'em deciding to go exploring when I've got a gate open. They love me bunches right now, lol.

Decided that was enough outside stuff right now so I came inside to do something with the last of the cabbages I picked. I've been seeing recipes for canned coleslaw - so I'm gonna give it a try. It's not techncially coleslaw - more like pickled cabbage I guess? Anyway, I'm gonna try it. Cabbage and it's friends carrots, onions and peppers are cut up and getting a salt bath right now. I need to make a pickling liquid to go over it then it will get a nice hot waterbath . It's vinegar based so it doesn't have to be pressure canned. I'm kinda looking forward to it so by golly, it better be good!

All this work is making me hungry. Needa go find some lunch!

Recipe, please

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe, please

This is a "reduced sugar" recipe. (ha, ha) I followed the recipe this time. I'll try sugar substitute next batch. I had enough of the cabbage and dressing (syrup) for 5 pints, so I canned those. Had a little left over so ate it without canning and I've gotta say it's pretty tasty! No idea how the processed ones will be. It's supposed to still be crunchy. When I try one I'll let ya know.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well.... heck! I had big plans to get really busy this morning. Something else had other plans for me. I'm sitting with an ice bag on my ear of all places. Some really nasty critter with a stinger hit me in the ear about 3 times and behind the ear once. I can't even count all the places I got stung because my entire ear is swollen.... :(

Total hit and run - I never even saw it. Definitely not a honey bee.... most likely a hornet or a wasp. Nasty thing! I'll be grabbing a can of "revenge" and going on the hunt as soon as I can get this ice off my ear.