Frustration with Food rant

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have lots of spelt recipes, because we know a few people who can't eat wheat. We switched to making our traditional chocolate birthday cake with spelt years ago, and after I tried it the first time my hubs told me that it was the best cake he'd ever had--let me know if you want the recipe. Not sure exactly what types of recipes you are looking for, but I can recommend two books that see a lot of use at my house:

The Spelt Cookbook: Cooking with Nature's Grain for Life by Helga Hughes
and
Healthy Breads With a Breadmaker (Natural Health Guide) by Silke Alles (I don't use a breadmaker, but bought the book years and years ago when we had one--the recipes work fine for traditional bread making if you know the ins and outs of bread)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can you post that cake recipe?
I want that in my arsenal.
thanks

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's the Cocoa Fudge Cake on this page , scanned from an old 1970s McCalls cookbook, one of the first things I bought with my own money as a kid.

I use butter instead of the shortening called for, and I use buttermilk or soured milk (1 tbsp of lemon juice in the milk measure) instead of just regular milk.

When you substitute spelt flour for whole wheat flour in this recipe you need to add at least another whole cup of flour, but make the recipe with regular whole wheat flour first so you know what consistency to make the batter, then just do it the same with spelt.

The recipe calls for a rectangular pan, but it also works really well in two 8" round pans for birthday cake layers. We usually use butter icing or cream cheese icing (a fave around here) although I don't personally eat icing, I eat the cake and then pass the icing to hubs or the kids.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks, appreciate the link.

funny I ditch the cake and eat the icing only :lol:

family inhales it all

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
thanks, appreciate the link.

funny I ditch the cake and eat the icing only :lol:

family inhales it all
I knew I'm not the only one that does that! My sister and I complement each other perfectly--she loves the cake but not the icing, I see cake only as a socially acceptable way to eat icing. We share :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
See, I knew there was another out there that is an icing fan only! Good to know :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow, this thread took a crazy turn! I definitely didn't read any insult into the responses, so not sure why...

I used to devour all nutritional studies and the latest fad. I still do, but now definitely with a grain of salt ;) Basically, I've come down to getting food as whole and organic as possible, avoiding sugar as much as possible and avoiding as many processed foods as possible (including flour).

I'm not rabid about it at all. I had some Mt. Dew for lunch with kettle chips, I kid you not. However, supper is 4 tomatoes, a stuffed pepper (made with venison and brown rice) and a big salad with red peppers. Breakfast was a bowl of raspberries and peaches with almond milk and a drizzle of honey.

I really believe in not getting too crazy over diet. I used to be absolutely obsessed, to the point of not fully enjoying life. I want to eat really, really well, but I don't want to think about it all the time. I'm not going to worry about whether my pickles are fermented or made with vinegar, but I will make my own pickles from my own certified organic veggies. And I'd rather feed my kids fruit/kale smoothies for breakfast, or plain oatmeal, than box cereal, no matter how much fiber it has. Again, though, I'm not going to kick myself if they have boxed high-fiber cereal on those busy mornings.