Frustration with Food rant

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Gardenweasel (who hasn't posted on this thread since the first post), I'd be happy to have a supportive discussion with you privately on this subject. I also struggled with this and came up with solutions that work for me that you might find useful.

Moolie, from your comments, I frankly do not believe you read either book other than a quick skim. Your comments are so full of misinformation it is ridiculous. You and a few others who dominate this forum, with all the disrespect and mocking, are why I don't even lurk here, never mind post, and I only came to this thread when a current forum member, emailed me asking me to come back. On the same day, someone else sent me a link to this. I sent the link back to the first person, as a perfect answer to her query.

I personally will never care if any of you eat ho hos and twinkies in any amount. What made me post is your apparent rabid need to get Gardenweasel to eat them as well.

See ya. :frow

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Gardenweasel (who hasn't posted on this thread since the first post), I'd be happy to have a supportive discussion with you privately on this subject. I also struggled with this and came up with solutions that work for me that you might find useful.

Moolie, from your comments, I frankly do not believe you read either book other than a quick skim. Your comments are so full of misinformation it is ridiculous. You and a few others who dominate this forum, with all the disrespect and mocking, are why I don't even lurk here, never mind post, and I only came to this thread when a current forum member, emailed me asking me to come back. On the same day, someone else sent me a link to this. I sent the link back to the first person, as a perfect answer to her query.

I personally will never care if any of you eat ho hos and twinkies in any amount. What made me post is your apparent rabid need to get Gardenweasel to eat them as well.

:lol:
Gee, that didn't take long. :clap :clap
*follows Free out the door*

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Dominate this forum", now there's a new one. :lol::gig You've definitely got the wrong girl, I'm pretty much completely ignored on this forum--ever read my journal? You're not the only one who never does. This forum eschews anyone who doesn't have acres of land, every livestock animal possible, and who doesn't follow the herd in calling that book the "Bible" of nutrition. I don't play that game, I treat everyone with equality.

Oh, and show me where I "mocked" anyone? You might need to look up the definition of that word.

If you have read any of my posts in this thread, you'd know that I didn't even know (still don't, other than seeing FC's photo) what those things are and have never eaten them. I don't have any "rabid need" to MAKE anyone eat ANYTHING, let alone junk food I've never seen or tried--and that I'm not even sure is available in my country.

I feed my family organic, local food wherever possible, prepared with love and using proper food preparation and cooking techniques. Methods handed down both from my grandmothers and their grandmothers for generations back, as well as cooking school techniques learned from a dear friend who is a chef. I believe in balance in all things in life, and I try to live as positive and stress-free a life as possible.

And I believe that if you put all your eggs in one basket, and rely on only one source for your information on ANY one subject, you are misguided--no matter the subject.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:

I don't think anyone is trying to force Gardenweasel into eating twinkies and ho hos. I just think that if the OP is having a hard time with feeding their family because of it (or even other people who are reading the book) should simply look at it objectively. Diet IS a good portion of what health is, however, genetics, environment, exercise, etc, etc, etc are all in there as well. Nutrition is not the sole factor in life. If it were, you could tell someone to smoke five packs of cigarettes each day, never get off the couch, don't worry about the past three generations of lung cancer (WITHOUT the influence of smoking) and certainly don't worry about how each generation died before 65 of heart disease, if they weren't wiped out by lung cancer first, because all they have to do is eat a healthy diet and they'll be good to go. *THAT* is all that I'm saying... That diet IS important, but it's not the almighty answer to everything in life. From what I have read of the book in question, it just doesn't sound objective. I'm not saying at all that the author only studied healthy communities to intentionally skew data or anything of the sort, simply that you can't really compare America to "untouched" communities, notice a different diet and pin it all on that.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey, Free, did FarmerJamie come running for some help?
needed some extra people to help him along in this thread?

Moolie didn't attack anyone or suggest eating a million hohos.

chill pill. some of ya need to take a handful. be good for you :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Personally, I've gotten tired of all the conflicting into out there. Basically, it comes down to what are you comfortable with. I tried a vegetarian diet for 1 day. I was starving. I drank 1% milk for years, got tired of the taste, and went w/whole. I ate lean meat, skinless chicken etc, for years, etc and found I missed the taste from the fat, so I went back to how I used to eat. The health problems that I have aren't diet related, but from a car accident and my Meniere's. I avoid foods that I know are triggers for that, and otherwise, eat what I want to.

I know not everyone can do that. For some, to eat how I do, they'd become obese, or develop other health problems. But, I also don't go nuts w/any one thing. I know that if I buy a box of Ho Hos, I'd eat the whole thing in 2 days or less, so I don't normally buy it. There are certain cakes I love the taste of, and I'd do the same. (Plus they're expensive.) So for me, it's a matter of not keeping a lot of foods around that I know would cause me to go overboard.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gee you leave the internet for a couple days and wowser! My original post was questions about fermenting grains and new information (to me) from reading excerts from the book "Wheat Belly". The wheat grown now is much different from the wheat our ancestors grew and ate. I have strong opinions about limiting the amount of GMO foods but I don't think it possible to completely control every single piece of food that goes into my mouth. So my question is do you personally ferment or at least soak some or all of your grains? Also do you believe the wheat that we are pushing whole wheat for health is actually not great for us. Lots of questions and I will get in touch with those who offered me more information.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't ferment any of our grains. We do make traditional sourdough bread, and we do soak our oats for oatmeal and home ground "cream of wheat", rice, and millet breakfast cereals overnight.

We buy organic, non GMO hard red wheat, oats, rye, spelt, rice, millet, and barley and grind it ourselves.

We don't buy any GMO foods, we know our producers because we buy just about everything we don't grow ourselves from the year round farmer's market--meat and poultry, eggs, cheese, veggies & fruits, honey, maple syrup, nuts & legumes. I buy my baking ingredients (cocoa, baking powder, herbs & spices) from a friend who sells Epicure , which is all organic/fair trade/non GMO sourced.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Moolie. I just want a lot of opinions and how you have adapted youre cooking styles. I am interested in using spelt if you have recipes any one.