Funny canning story to share

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, Daisy, it sounds like we do have similar lives! I think (aside from the actual lesson learned) it made me sad that these kids have no knowledge of any kind of self sufficiency. And one thing I realize with this young lady is that she is a feisty, strong young woman who is already so emotionally self sufficient. If only she could learn about things like we discuss on this forum, how to really be in more control of what we eat, wear, use, etc. Last year I knitted socks for my students, and they went totally wild over them. Never saw knitting before, had to ask all sorts of questions. This year I've made some sock monkeys because I had one on my desk and they love it. Never saw a sock monkey before in their lives. Sad!

galanie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You know, I think we are all the product of the WWII generation. Before that, everyone had to make everything. Unless you were rich and could have other people do it. After WWII, enough people had enough money and there were so many technological breakthroughs that "Thank goodness we don't have to do THAT any more!" So plenty didn't, though they knew how. And didn't teach their kids how either. And so on. Now we have people that don't even understand such formerly basic things. It's a shame.

My mother and father were both veterans of WWII and didn't pass on everything they learned from a frugal life (I just hate the word "lifestyle" - it means nothing to me) but did pass on a lot even still. My kids are amazed it what their friends were never exposed to, but from listening to my parents I think I understand what happened.