fuzzy tea bags have dropped/causing fighting

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As some of you remember, my mother bought my son some rabbits for easter and we have some that we are going to breed as well. The ones that are the "pets" have started fighting for some reason. We have kept them together for a few months now with no problems until last week. I noticed today that one has finally gotten his tea bags in but he isn't the aggressive one. While I have already split them up I would still like to know why. Any Ideas?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
territory...
rabbits can become VERY territorial with age, takes quite a lot of space to get rabbits living together happily full time...there naturally very social creatures, BUT they also need alot of "personal space"
Ive found "house mates" tend to do best when they have ther own personal spaces to retreet to (ie a cage each and then the common area in which to play together.)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
territory...
rabbits can become VERY territorial with age, takes quite a lot of space to get rabbits living together happily full time...there naturally very social creatures, BUT they also need alot of "personal space"
Ive found "house mates" tend to do best when they have ther own personal spaces to retreet to (ie a cage each and then the common area in which to play together.)
i agree. i have seen females of breeding age kill each other.

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
What the others said. Think about it...Easter was about 4 months ago. Rabbits are ready to breed at about 4 months, soooo, all those hormones are kicking in and they start fighting. You did the right thing by separating them. You said you wanted to breed them, so, go for it. They're ready! In fact, have you noticed that your buck has been mounting the other one? If she is female, you may already have a pregnant doe. Keep track and put the nesting box in for her when it's time.

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
nmred said:
What the others said. Think about it...Easter was about 4 months ago. Rabbits are ready to breed at about 4 months, soooo, all those hormones are kicking in and they start fighting. You did the right thing by separating them. You said you wanted to breed them, so, go for it. They're ready! In fact, have you noticed that your buck has been mounting the other one? If she is female, you may already have a pregnant doe. Keep track and put the nesting box in for her when it's time.
I had noticed that one of them was mounting as a dominance thing but I am sad to say that we lost the one that was the most aggressive. A dog knocked the feeder out and he got out..we found him in the yard with a broken neck. I have tried breeding but so far nothing. Not sure if i am doing something wrong or not but i hope to have some kits soon (have one couple living together. the chewed through the wire and for now i'm just letting them do their thing)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you are letting them stay together you might want to work on fixing the cage or building a new one. and separate them after they have been to gether for @20-25 days. the doe will only be pregnant @30 days. and the male may kill the babies. plus he can and will rebreed her the day she has the babies. and that is hard on her and the babies cause the first litter wont be ready to wean yet when the second litter comes. plus she will need a nest box and the male may want to sit in it and either hurt the babies or keep the mom for being able to care for them.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They may have bred when you weren't watching or it may be to hot. My bucks loose interest when its hot.