Gala Apples on Sale...what can I do with them?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am planning to make VickiLynns Carmel Apple Jam!
I wondered if anyone had any other good ideas to make use of some cheap Gala apples?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they are a good all purpose apple. applesauce, pie, cake, Ive always wanted to can apple pie filling but I never get it done.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I just picked 5 lbs of them. They're one of my favorite eating apples. Reading on for ideas................

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i love them for eating.. but if you can smell that... * turns around and sniffs * i had a bunch in a bucket of uglies from my orchard friend.. so i put them in the next batch of applesauce

:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I agree -- there is nothing Galas aren't good for. (Well I've never tried drying them... but they're probably good for that too :))

If you're going to make applesauce, it's tastiest IMHO if you mix several varieties together, so not using *just* Galas. This is also true for pies, IF you can select varieties with similar cooking times (e.g. you would NOT want to mix Macintosh and Spy in the same pie :p)

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So if I were to make apple pie filling (canned) what other type of apples should I use? I usually use Granny's for pie.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh Galas are on sale this week? I forgot about that. I should do some pie in a jar. Where did you get yours Dace??

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think they are on sale at Ralphs...I will double check...

Yep Ralphs, .59 per pound down from $1.79. They also have 10#bas f russets for .99. Last day of the sale is tomorrow.