Ganglion cyst - ouch!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So it looks like I have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist, and it HURTS! Do you guys have any suggestions for treating it at home? And no, I will not have someone smash it with a book! :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mom had one years ago & had surgery to remove it.....sorry I don't know about home remedies :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have had three so far on my hands, right below my fingers. They are really painful! One got really big and boy, that thing hurt.

The only thing I did was try to figure out what I was doing that irritated that thing in the first place and quit doing it...or tried. It's pretty hard not to use your hands much. Time eventually took care of mine. I bet it took three months. I wear wrist braces when I go to bed and take generic Aleve almost every night. I don't know if either helped, but at least they're gone without having surgery.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is all I could find on natural options...

Herbal Remedies World's website says taking 400 to 600 milligrams of turmeric extract per day could be beneficial as an anti-inflammatory within two months, according to the Herbal Remedies World website.

Herbal Remedies World also cites ginger -- taken in doses of 500 to 1,000 milligrams per day -- one to two times daily as a beneficial anti-inflammatory. the website recommends taking ginger with food.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think I heard somewhere that it can be drained with a needle, but I would recommend researching that first though. I got one when I played league volleyball years ago. When the season ended the cyst went away. Is there something you are doing that might be causing it? and can you alter that activity?

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had one removed from my left hand about 26 years ago.I was told it could come back but it never has.I was working in a sewing factory at the time and I think that is what caused it.It was very painful and I couldn't work because of it.
The only home remedy I know is the book thing.I wouldn't try draining it because of the risk of infection.I can tell you my dad had one on his left hand and it was huge.Mine was about the size of a marble and his was at least 3 times bigger.Being the big kid he is,he was out riding his ATV on a frozen river one year and he got off for some reason,his feet flew out for under him and he landed flat of his back with his arms out.His hand hit on the back where the cyst was and totally busted it.It turned red for a few days but the cyst was gone and has never came back.He said it did hurt but also felt better with the cyst gone.
Good luck with what ever you do and I hope it feels better soon.:)

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I work on the computer all day, so I know that's exactly what's causing it. And then when I'm done working, I spend an hour or so in the garden. Unfortunately, I can't quit my job, and there's no way I'm giving up the gardening! But I might try Marianne's advice & find some kind of brace to support it. I might give the ginger a try, too. Hopefully something works! This hurts!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had mine in both wrists drained a few times. I was gymnist, so it wreaked havoc on mine.

The cysts were so bad my fingers would go numb. They are better now but I still go numb when I type a lot or do anything repetitive for too long.

the cysts would displace the bones in the wrist and pinch nerves. Draining them was the only relief I ever got. I still feel the puffy cysts but they are much smaller.

Best of luck.