Garage Sale

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm having a garage sale. I'm not sure when just yet but until today I literally had a garage FULL of stuff. Today, I took out a nasty sofa (the ONLY way to really make this thing useable again is to rebuild it), a couple of infant carseats (both of which are broken (I figure if someone is willing to risk their kids life on them and try to fix them that is their perrogative), two of those chairs that fold out into "beds" (both REALLY torn), and a few other things I can't remember. Tomorrow, my neighborhood is having their first annual spring cleanup event where they will take sofas and other large items like washers and dryers with a 15 item limit. I have to go count to make sure I'm under the 15 items but I'm pretty sure i am. But I digress, I am going to have a yard sale in a few weeks and want to run my pricing for a few items. I'm trying to keep it simple and low to make sure everything (or most everything) goes.

Clothes - $1 per item
Onesies (baby t-shirts) - $.25 per
Any clothes with stains - $.10 or $.05 per
Socks - $1 for 6
infant/toddler shoes - $2 per pair
books - $.25
Circle Y pleasure saddle (17" seat but I need to double check, good condition, has a few scratches and needs a good oiling) - $200

I have a few other things too but I haven't finished going through everything. If you have any tips or advice, I'm all ears.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just make everything that is similar the same price. Like toddler clothes all $1 or whatever. Knick-nacks all $1 etc. Having larger clothes hung up is way easier than piles. Remember, if you won't pay a dollar for something, nobody else will either. It's not worth a penny unless you sell it.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds good. If you've got lots of baby and little kid stuff you should clean up. Whenever we had bottles and sippy cups and baby clothes we had people lining up to buy stuff. Sleepers and blankets sell very well. Old dishes, plastic bowls, spare houseplants, cookbooks and pots and pans sell very well for us. Books, not so much but every once in awhile you get someone who will take a big ol' bunch of them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I'm having a garage sale. I'm not sure when just yet but until today I literally had a garage FULL of stuff. Today, I took out a nasty sofa (the ONLY way to really make this thing useable again is to rebuild it), a couple of infant carseats (both of which are broken (I figure if someone is willing to risk their kids life on them and try to fix them that is their perrogative), two of those chairs that fold out into "beds" (both REALLY torn), and a few other things I can't remember. Tomorrow, my neighborhood is having their first annual spring cleanup event where they will take sofas and other large items like washers and dryers with a 15 item limit. I have to go count to make sure I'm under the 15 items but I'm pretty sure i am. But I digress, I am going to have a yard sale in a few weeks and want to run my pricing for a few items. I'm trying to keep it simple and low to make sure everything (or most everything) goes.

Clothes - $1 per item
Onesies (baby t-shirts) - $.25 per
Any clothes with stains - $.10 or $.05 per
Socks - $1 for 6
infant/toddler shoes - $2 per pair
books - $.25
Circle Y pleasure saddle (17" seat but I need to double check, good condition, has a few scratches and needs a good oiling) - $200

I have a few other things too but I haven't finished going through everything. If you have any tips or advice, I'm all ears.
Hi Aidenbaby,

A circle Y saddle for 200 bucks? I wish you lived near me!! I've been scouring craigslist for a decent saddle for a decent price!

That's a good deal!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm glad you think so. I hate to part with it. It was my first saddle for my first horse so it has a lot of sentimental value. However, I don't have a horse now and am not looking to get another for some time so there isn't any sense in keeping it around to get dusty and dry.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I would buy items at those prices. :cool:

Baby clothes always sell good. You could probably raise your prices a little on those.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you think I should/could charge more for the saddle? I was thinking about raising the price to the maximum I think I could get and see what happens.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I don't think saddles are selling well right now. Higher price may shoo some folks off. If you want to unload it no matter what, I suggest keeping the price low, especially if you see me there! :gig

If you wanted to make more money, sit on it (pun) and wait for the economy to change.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup