Garage trellis?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone built their own trellis for the garage? I have a book from the library, providing instructions and need to convince Dh it is a good idea. He is worried about the wood on the house rotting. thanks.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sorry, what exactly do you mean by trellis for the garage? Like, just a lattice thingie for a climbing plant to grow up, or something else?

Sorry to be dense,

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Actually I have- I took copper piping and made a trellis because I was afraid of introducing bugs into the wood. I used copper tubing too to keep it about 6 inches out from the siding. Worked fine but copper tubing is too expensive right now- I would do it with painted PCV pipe if I was doing now.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
images

Something like this. In fact, since I posted last, we picked up some free pressure treated 2x12s so that's a start in the right direction.:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea because of the moisture problems and such, I would not put any trellis up or over or against my home or garage.

but that is just me...I don't like the possible problems that come with it.

I love, love, love the look of old ivy growing on brick homes, and all that.....but for me I wouldn't do it. I sometimes think for me I opt for the easier way without inviting possible rot problems, mositure, critters that want to live in it...LOL

not saying no one should do it....LOL...just for me it isn't wanted. But the look of it can be so pretty!

I did build a free standing trellis again my backyard fencing to block part of the neighbors old cars and trucks that they parked way in the back of their yard....I planted honeysuckle vine for the hummingbirds and it was so nice...had it alot of years. BUT eventually the vine petered out, kinda got all stemy and such and I just recently cut it down and might or might not replant. Might take the trellis down just for a new look for something else.

best of luck on yours! shows picks of when you are done

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My chicken coop is made of corrogated tin, and I was thinking of running wire in a V shape up the sides and over the top, then growing my gourds on it next year. Maybe this would work for you? Although if you've already got the wood, lol, its a moot point right now....LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think I would personally tend to make a narrow freestanding trellis in front of the garage doors that hanging off. Could carry more weight and be moved if needed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read an article about using vines that die back in the winter to help regulate passive solar heat in ones house. They had trellising of this type built over south-facing windows. The vines shaded these windows in the summer and died back in the winter to allow the sun to passively heat the house through those same windows. Seemed like an excellent idea, as well as an attractive one.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I love, love, love the look of old ivy growing on brick homes, and all that.....but for me I wouldn't do it. I sometimes think for me I opt for the easier way without inviting possible rot problems, mositure, critters that want to live in it...LOL
Just the fact that the most popular ivy to grow on houses can pull your mortor out and ruin your bricks scares the crap out of me, there is something starting by our tv tower which has to be killed, if anything is going to climb our house it's going to be a non-damaging vine :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We built a trellis over a window of our living room. Took me two years to kill the wisteria and ivy that invaded my house. The trellis is still there but you can bet I won't plant anything else there. That stuff got between the lattace work we put up for it crawl up to the trellis area and pulled it apart and tore it to pieces. Actually pulled the nails out of some 2 x 4's. The ivy climbed to the top of the house and started pulling up the tin roof. We could not keep it cut back quick enough. Never again. Looks great and cozy but very destructive.
I guess if you have time to really keep an eye on it and keep it cut back its ok. But just don't let it get away from you. It will pull the house down.