Garbage collection...town or private...or self?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We live outside city limits and therefore have to pay for private garbage pick up. We have decided to cancel service and take it ourselves starting in Oct. We compost and recycle and don't buy much packaged items so our garbage can was rarely even half full.

The nearest drop off for us is about 5 miles from home, but on the way to other places we go.

Do you all pay for collection? Or is it through the town (and therefore taxes)? Or do you take it yourselves to the dump?

**Also, if you pay for collection, do you mind posting the annual or quarterly fee? Just for comparison across the board.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Our trash and recycyling is picked up at the curb, trash weekly and recycling bi weekly. The town has always picked up the tab for this.I am sure our real estate taxes pay for this in the end, but there is no set charge to the households for trash pickup.
Yard waste is picked up weekly during the months from April-December and it use to be free but a couple of years ago they decided to charge $50.00 per household per year and its tacked on to the water bill.
All yardwaste must be put into large brown paper bags that you can buy anywhere.
If you want to dispose of a large appliance such as a frig,washer,dryer or stove you go down to the transfer station and pay $10.00 and they have a company come by and pick it up.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We pay 54.00 a quarter. It just went up because we now have recycling. This is road side pickup once a week.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My mother/father-in law live about 1/2 a mile south of me, and my brother-in-law and his family live 1 1/2 miles north...they both farm and have big machine shops...FIL has a dumpster that all of us use, and its dumped weekly by a local company. I have no idea what they pay for the service, since they've never charged us a cent to use it. Its like the "family trash'...LOL

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
<grumble> <groan> I hate this bill!

We pay ($20/month) and recently recieved a letter that it was going up (fuel surcharge).

That covers one pick up per week for one garbage can full. If you have extra (like if you're out of town on p/u day, and have double garbage the next week) you have to purchase a bag at the local grocery store/hardware for $3/bag and you can put that special bag out. They won't take anything else. And the bags aren't big, they're like kitchen size. Like I want to waste gas to go p/u a stinkin' special bag when I already have a perfectlly good garbage bag I paid for.

If you're wondering why we don't just put it in the garbage can before we go out of town, it's b/c the critters get into it. They even get those bungee cords off. The garbage men won't p/u garbage that critters have gotten into... so then we get back in town and have to p/u the mess EVERYwhere.

They don't come to our driveway even. We have to lug it half a mile up the road (from our half mile long driveway) So it makes for a nice walk in the nice weather. But in the winter, we just drive it up there.

To me it's just a hassle for $20/month. Other option would be to take it to the dump, which is 45 minutes away. So that's not really an option.

Last winter we stopped service for 3 months, and they insisted we still had to pay (after the fact) for those three months. Even though they didn't ever pick any garbage up. They said they don't suspend service... that whoever we talked to on the phone was wrong... so we still had to pay (for service we didn't get)

Also, if weather is too bad for them tio p/u the garbage (happens often in the winter) they don't refund you for that week.... you still have to pay for no service. And ya still have to pay for the extra bag for extra garbage for the following week. It's all just rediculous to me! :) This is why i grumble and groan about it. DH thinks I overreact about it, but it really annoys me! And they don't do recycling either. We have to take that elsewhere.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We pay $12 a month for once a week pick-up out in the county. They come to the end of our road. Everyone pays the same and you don't have any choice in the matter. Everyone with a physical address has to pay the garbage fee. It doesn't matter how much you have, either. There's about ten or twelve residences that live on our "private drive" and we all have to take our trash to the same spot. So you can imagine, it looks like the city dump out there on Tuesday mornings. Anyway--they have no way of knowing which trash can belongs to which house. (The we all mark them so we can reclaim them.)

But you can't not pay for it. I read an article in the paper yesterday about how they were going to fine people who were late on their garbage bill.

As you can imagine, this system does nothing to encourage people to reduce their waste.

Cassandra

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We pay about 18 dollars per month. This pays for 1 garbage container pick up per week. We do not have recycling but take our about 4 miles to the recycle center.

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just asked my DH just how much we do pay for garbage collection, he said it had gone up to 68.00 a quarter, I think we need to stop using them and start taking it ourselves.

Latest posts