Garbage collection...town or private...or self?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Right now our county is making noise about having mandated garbage pick up with recycling- they feel it will slow the dumping of trash along the roads. Too many people think that the wood is a fine place to throw their waste so they don't have to pay the dump. I've seen 10 foot high stacks of tires by the side of the road Along with appliances, tv's, etc.
So i'm of mix thought about it- I have little trash and drive in in to the dump- it will quadruple my cost for service but I sure would like to see less trash lying about.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We have a 'transfer station' instead of a dump. We recycle there, and we really do recycle everything we can, and any trash gets put into the compactors, hauled off and sold to a refuse to energy plant down in Rochester, MA. I have a trash compactor in the kitchen, I only take the bag out every three weeks or so to take to the dump (I still call it the dump). No garbage goes in there, it either goes into the garbage pail (meat stuff mainly), the rest goes in my compost pile.

I don't want curbside pickup. I can get rid of just about anything at the dump, some things I need to go buy a ticket for, like appliances and large loads of metal - but for the most part it's just easier to bring it there than deal with the rules and regulations of curbside pickup. I could pay a private company right now, but why? The dump fees are included in my taxes. Someday they will try to force the issue again, but we'll vote them down at town meeting. Again. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For anything metal and big, haul it to the metal scrap yard...you make money big time. They take washers, refrig, any metal items and car batteries here pay $10 each. So definite money maker sitatuion.

We pay $54 per quarter, curbside pickup.
I love it...LOL...my guys are great...they will take anything I ask!!

We recycle as much as we can to reduce of course.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We take ours to the dump - there are 3 places we can go withing 5 or so miles of us.