Garden help... What plants to Deer NOT like?

amarook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm new to gardening. This year I won't be able to have a full garden like I would like to because we have a lot of deer around here. I don't want to plant a lot of stuff only for them to eat it.

So I was thinking about maybe growing just a few things that maybe Deer won't bother so much.

I was thinking maybe zucchini would be good because those leaves can be ouchy...

Maybe pumpkins?

Potatoes?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

THANKS!
;)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been told that the scent of Marigolds often keeps deer away, but haven't had marigolds in years so I have no idea anymore..

Reaction score
We have herds of deer and the bozos around here feed them. They're so cute you know. Marigolds might work if planted at about 50% of your crop. We planted about 1 every 5 tomato plants and it didn't work.

Best bet is an 8' fence or invite a bunch of hunters over.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In lean times, I haven't found a garden plant that deer won't nibble. :(

If you can find a good electric fence charger that's not too expensive(around $40 for electric, $130 for solar), you can place a single strand of wire at about 24 in. from the ground and have good results at keeping deer out. My mom has used this method for many, many years without a mishap~and her deer are in the yard around the garden each day~but no IN the garden. Something about that low level wire causes them to "nose" it before jumping or walking over it......zappo! No nibbles in the garden! :)

amarook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
In lean times, I haven't found a garden plant that deer won't nibble. :(

If you can find a good electric fence charger that's not too expensive(around $40 for electric, $130 for solar), you can place a single strand of wire at about 24 in. from the ground and have good results at keeping deer out. My mom has used this method for many, many years without a mishap~and her deer are in the yard around the garden each day~but no IN the garden. Something about that low level wire causes them to "nose" it before jumping or walking over it......zappo! No nibbles in the garden! :)
My next door neighbor does that.

My Rott/Lab Oskar found that out the hard way.
We had just started staying here I was throwing the frisbee for him. (Otherwise he's NEVER loose.) And something distracted him. He went running into the neighbor's yard. He must have not seen the wire, but WE heard it.
Oskar let out this horrible yelp. He looked like he ran into an invisible wall. Then came running back to us. It was really kind of funny because he kept looking over his shoulder like he was wondering what the He double hockey sticks just happened.

Old man must have had that sucker on high.

Oskar learns quick... he doesn't go near there anymore. lol

amarook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
We have herds of deer and the bozos around here feed them. They're so cute you know. Marigolds might work if planted at about 50% of your crop. We planted about 1 every 5 tomato plants and it didn't work.

Best bet is an 8' fence or invite a bunch of hunters over.
The neighbor behind me feeds them. I don't know if he does it all year, or only in the winter.

When I saw this...
3218952078_be5cb9e0ce.jpg

I knew that any garden I was gonna have was going to have to be protected.
:/

My BF kept saying, if only I had a bow. lol

My bro-in-law said "I'll be up with my rifle after dinner!"
:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
amarook said:
My Rott/Lab Oskar found that out the hard way.
We had just started staying here I was throwing the frisbee for him. (Otherwise he's NEVER loose.) And something distracted him. He went running into the neighbor's yard. He must have not seen the wire, but WE heard it.
Oskar let out this horrible yelp. He looked like he ran into an invisible wall. Then came running back to us. It was really kind of funny because he kept looking over his shoulder like he was wondering what the He double hockey sticks just happened.

Old man must have had that sucker on high.

Oskar learns quick... he doesn't go near there anymore. lol
:gig My neighbor's big lab was climbing my 4' fence so I ran a wire on top from my pasture fence and I saw him get zapped :lol: He had all four paws on that woven wire fence so he was very grounded, and he didn't know to let go at first, think he got hit twice at least! Shoulda heard him yell! After that, when I would visit him through the fence, he would start to stand up, then he would sit! :gig

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Deer preferences seem to vary from place to place (also according to how hungry they are) so your best bet would be to talk with people in your town/county.

Well actually your BEST benefit is, as Beekissed says, to get an electric charger. There are a lot of arrangements, and if one wire doesn't do it for you, two (spaced horizotally, not vertically) may. Baiting the wire with peanutbutter helps too (hint: turn charger OFF before applying bait :p)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Deer preferences seem to vary from place to place (also according to how hungry they are) so your best bet would be to talk with people in your town/county.

Well actually your BEST benefit is, as Beekissed says, to get an electric charger. There are a lot of arrangements, and if one wire doesn't do it for you, two (spaced horizotally, not vertically) may. Baiting the wire with peanutbutter helps too (hint: turn charger OFF before applying bait :p)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
The PB bait sounds like a good idea. I watch the deer jump fences all the time and I've never seen them sniffing around. They just trot up and jump. PB would get them to stop for a good zap. Our backyard is separated on 3 sides from the horse pasture. The fence is 4' field fence and we have dogs in the backyard. I had to hot wire the top of the fence to keep the horses from breaking the fence down eating grass in the yard and to keep our Dane mix from jumping it. Dog's, horses and kids have all checked out what it feels like to touch the hot wire. The kids are the only ones that go for seconds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Electric fencing is one of the world's greatest inventions. Should be a Nobel prize for it! :lol:

Latest posts