Garden Pest: The Vole

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Cats - I'll even send you a few.

It took a while, but they took care of my vole problem (plus some other icky critters).
Right now I have a problem from neighbor's cats attacking my chicks, and neighbor's dog attacking my almost-ready-to-pop-out-baby(s) goat. Maybe once I get everything figured out, I might send for a few barn cats!

I bought some super hot powdered hot pepper powder. I'm going to mix that with dish soap and hot water (to dissolve the hot pepper powder) and pour it all over the garden.

Just as soon as it's not 100 degrees! Maybe tonight.

good suggestions. Thanks.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh man, I think I'd be calling the neighbor!!
Around here if your dog or cat is on someone else's property, they have the right to shoot it as a predator. Agh. Cats won't stay in a yard, but dogs can be fenced.

If the call doesn't do any good, see if someone will loan you a paint ball gun. After pooch goes back home with some paint, the neighbors might understand what it could have been.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The dog comes over during the night. I can't sit outside all night and wait.

The cats belong to a neighbor that we're actually on good terms with. The dad is an EMT that helped the 1st two times my kid had a grand mal seizure. Can't jeopardize that relationship. I've tried to figure out a way to gently ask them to keep their cats on their property but everything I come up with basically makes it sound like "your cats are stalking our chickens" !!

Sprinkled the cayenne powder into vole holes ... unfortunately the wind was up and i got lots in my eyes, nose and mouth. Will reapply next week after i pick up some more. hoping it'll work.