Garden plants.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Does anyone start and sell extras? I have a few folks requesting started plants for their gardens this year, and would love to get into selling a few, but I have no idea what to charge or how I would go about setting prices. Anybody have any pointers? I think I could make a good bit of money doing it if I can figure out some reasonable pricing, and get enough going to meet demand. I will start tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, eggplant, and maybe a few others.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
How much are they at your local garden center? Maybe knock a little off that price? Or if it's a distance to the garden center, sell for the same price. Saves your customer the gas and the hassle of driving.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah, the school sells them even cheaper from their FHA students. Maybe I should price them just above the FHA pricing so as not to detract from what the students can sell.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
You're no Donald Trump are ya? :lol: I think that sounds good. Don't want to be taking money from school programs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well I know I could squish the little kiddies, but that's the fun of letting them go without a scratch :lol: :p

I wouldn't WANT to be Trump...too ruthless. I'm nice, and money isn't everything ;)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I would have to un-friend you if you were too trump-like! He's a very mean guy!:rant Have you heard of the documentary called "You've been Trumped?" Horrible man!! :somad

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
I would have to un-friend you if you were too trump-like! He's a very mean guy!:rant Have you heard of the documentary called "You've been Trumped?" Horrible man!! :somad
Yeah he has no conscious. I couldn't live with myself. All that money is nothing if you can't be civilized. :/ His ugly hair is the best part about him :p

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since most growers have packs of 4 or 6 plants, you might want to fill a niche for folks who want more or fewer plants, depending on the type of vegetable. Like packs of 12 to 15 cabbage and tomato, single pepper plants, single eggplant, etc. Charge less per plant for the bigger packs, more for the single ones. (But not as much as Bonnie Plants does for their singles--talk about a robisary!) I used to think all annual garden plants were way expensive, but considering how much time and care is involved--and even good potting mix is expensive! I guess $1.99 or $2.59 for 6 plants would be about right.
Back in the day, there was a company that sold cabbage and tomato plants bare root, in bundles of 25, like strawberry plants can be purchased now. Amazing that they perked up, but they did.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is something we want to get into, eventually. But my school sells started plants as well, four for a dollar on all veggie plants.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If its heirloom, you might want to charge as much or slightly more, provided the people understand what they buying and how they can profit from them.......IDK.
The way I handle my chick business is by charging about the same as the ag store. My customers still want to come to me, because I know what I'm talking about and the employees at the store don't know &%^%.

Latest posts