Garden Seeding

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually do my beans (all varieties) in double rows. Not sure where I picked up that habit.

I used to use heavy building/construction plastic for my seedlings. Since I reused every year, the holes for tomatoes were fixed.

i'm going to try double rows this coming season. i normally plant things a bit too close so what i want to do is make the double rows fairly close but then leave more room in between the double rows for walking/weeding. we'll see how it goes. :) always worth trying different things.

i rotate plant for the tomatoes so the holes are always placed in a different location each year and i also try to remember previous years too so i can avoid repeat plantings. with the scant use of fertilizers here (because it all comes from the worm compost farm i keep) i am very vigilant about rotating what i plant to get the most use out of that worm compost. it is good for a few seasons from what i can tell.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hand seeding the direct seed stuff. Spacing on everything is done by the eyeball method.
Same here ^^

I don't do rows in the plots in the yard, I do square garden plots and then figure out spacing based on those. I have walk-ways on all 4 sides of each square, makes it easier for me to grab and weed. I start vines on an end on the north side and then in the 2 squares south of them put the corn so then they can vine through the garden but no suffocate anything.

In the raised beds, each has their own 1 -2 designated veggies and then onions around the perimeter of each and radishes tuck in between whatever is growing. Cukes will take the place of the lettuce early summer.

I start and transplant tomatoes, melons and pumpkins only-everything else is a direct sow once the ground can be worked-I typically plant mother's day weekend.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always wanted to try double rows. I guess they would be wide rows. But when I get out in the garden, i plant single rows every time. Only because I think weeding wide rows would be harder. IDK...

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rows are made with a hoe. Hand seeding the direct seed stuff. Spacing on everything is done by the eyeball method.

90% done same here. 😁. I usually keep a few extra seed, to fill in where a couple didn't sprout or got damaged.
i'm going to try double rows this coming season. i normally plant things a bit too close so what i want to do is make the double rows fairly close but then leave more room in between the double rows for walking/weeding. we'll see how it goes. :) always worth trying different things.

I've planted dble with things like bush beans. It's worked nicely most times. They leaf out and cause shade so really creates less weed area. They make picking a little faster. Maybe since you can reach more before moving along. Some plants just don't work well with it. But beans ... Most are skimpier plants that just put everything into those pods. They tend to like the crowd of company 🤔. Peas can, too. Things like peppers and eggplant, not so much. At maturity they can be too large for it. The space at planting seems a waste but, later you see why you did it.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In Texas:
My Oma (my dad's mom) would have the tractor till up the garden in the spring.

She would rake it smooth.

All small seeds (not peas or beans) were started in old enamel pans that now had holes in them so they drained. As soon as the seeds sprouted they were planted out in the garden, by row. She had wooden stakes with string to make the rows perfectly straight.

BUT, it also depended on what was planted.

Bush beans were on perfectly straight rows. A pole with strings was unrolled for them, all down the row, so they could be held up/controlled a bit.... like a fence.

Onions were in straight rows... but staggered so 3 strings down the middle of the row, onion sets planted staggered along the 3 strings... then strings removed.

Tomatoes were not planted with strings... she made a super wide row for them, and put cages down the center of the row. Tomatoes, I think 4 plants, were planted around the outside of each cage. Each cage was used as a compost bin.

Me... I plant in raised beds.. a bit along the line of square foot gardening.