Garden Seeding

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So with spring on the horizon , So how do you seed your Gardens ??
Do you use a Dibbler and String
Hand Seeder
Tractor
And how to you make your rows ? String or something else.
My hoe handle has 12/18/24 inch marks. I have a basket with row end markers (10 inch 1x2 wood from something I don't remember) with an angle cut on one end. Two pieces of rebar with an ample amount of baling twine wrapped on one.

I measure the width for the next row, use my hoe to follow the twine, mark the row with my wood end markers and move to the next.

Hand seed everything that isn't a started seedling

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hand seeding the direct seed stuff. Spacing on everything is done by the eyeball method.
Same here ^^

I don't do rows in the plots in the yard, I do square garden plots and then figure out spacing based on those. I have walk-ways on all 4 sides of each square, makes it easier for me to grab and weed. I start vines on an end on the north side and then in the 2 squares south of them put the corn so then they can vine through the garden but no suffocate anything.

In the raised beds, each has their own 1 -2 designated veggies and then onions around the perimeter of each and radishes tuck in between whatever is growing. Cukes will take the place of the lettuce early summer.

I start and transplant tomatoes, melons and pumpkins only-everything else is a direct sow once the ground can be worked-I typically plant mother's day weekend.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rows are made with a hoe. Hand seeding the direct seed stuff. Spacing on everything is done by the eyeball method.

90% done same here. 😁. I usually keep a few extra seed, to fill in where a couple didn't sprout or got damaged.
i'm going to try double rows this coming season. i normally plant things a bit too close so what i want to do is make the double rows fairly close but then leave more room in between the double rows for walking/weeding. we'll see how it goes. :) always worth trying different things.

I've planted dble with things like bush beans. It's worked nicely most times. They leaf out and cause shade so really creates less weed area. They make picking a little faster. Maybe since you can reach more before moving along. Some plants just don't work well with it. But beans ... Most are skimpier plants that just put everything into those pods. They tend to like the crowd of company 🤔. Peas can, too. Things like peppers and eggplant, not so much. At maturity they can be too large for it. The space at planting seems a waste but, later you see why you did it.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In Texas:
My Oma (my dad's mom) would have the tractor till up the garden in the spring.

She would rake it smooth.

All small seeds (not peas or beans) were started in old enamel pans that now had holes in them so they drained. As soon as the seeds sprouted they were planted out in the garden, by row. She had wooden stakes with string to make the rows perfectly straight.

BUT, it also depended on what was planted.

Bush beans were on perfectly straight rows. A pole with strings was unrolled for them, all down the row, so they could be held up/controlled a bit.... like a fence.

Onions were in straight rows... but staggered so 3 strings down the middle of the row, onion sets planted staggered along the 3 strings... then strings removed.

Tomatoes were not planted with strings... she made a super wide row for them, and put cages down the center of the row. Tomatoes, I think 4 plants, were planted around the outside of each cage. Each cage was used as a compost bin.

Me... I plant in raised beds.. a bit along the line of square foot gardening.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a seeder machine - hate it. It crushes too much seed.

My most reliable method is starting seed indoors and transplanting. I'm terrible at direct sow - it makes me dizzy and miserable. Bigger seeds are less-bad.

I hand sow peas. We have a fence trellis, so I poke in one pea at each wire, about every 4 inches. I plan to pass this task to DS6 this year. He loves peas.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I usually do my beans (all varieties) in double rows. Not sure where I picked up that habit.

I used to use heavy building/construction plastic for my seedlings. Since I reused every year, the holes for tomatoes were fixed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So with spring on the horizon , So how do you seed your Gardens ??
Do you use a Dibbler and String
Hand Seeder
Tractor
And how to you make your rows ? String or something else.

i keep it simple, i have a pointed hoe which i just drag in about the right direction to put down the row/drill and then i drop the seeds back in and then use the same hoe to cover over the seeds and tamp the soil down (for good soil/seed contact).

soil prep for mostly clay can be a bit of a challenge if it is too wet out, but most the time it gets done eventually. i have a four prong rake for breaking up some clods but i don't normally deep till or dig an entire garden. i might break the soil down a ways with a straight bladed shovel if it seems too compacted but otherwise i try not to really disturb things too much. for weeding the stirrup hoe (for stand up quick large scale weeding), and my wide bladed butter/steak knife and a trowel are used for closer weeding get me through most of the season. when a garden gets too weedy i'll dig holes and scrape the surface into the hole and bury it. seems to be working (for about half an acre of gardens with half of that being perennial beds or decorations and the rest of it being vegetable gardens).

i do have a long dowel i can use as a dibble and i also used to have some PVC pipe i could drop seeds down to get them into the rows in the right location, but i found out that it was much quicker if i just bent over a little and dropped them in as i was going down the rows.

Latest posts