Garden size???

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After 4 yrs of starting and building up a very nice garden. I finally went out today and measured it all. 2400 square foot garden area is what we have. I have never actually check to see if this is adaquate size for a family of 3.

This yr we plan on growing everything we need for a yrs worth of veggies. Can, freeze, rootceller and foodsave. We have finally got to the point where we can do it all and know how too.

I feel this is a very important yr to get all the data in order and do what is needed to be as self sufficient as one can be for the coming yrs.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great idea
do what you must to keep that pantry full

I realized when my stupid freezer died that preserving/canning was actually more important than freezing stuff. At least with canning it would take alot to lose the foodstuffs vs. a freezer meltdown LOL

more canning for me this year for sure

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love canning. I tried it for the first time last spring and I got addicted to it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget dehydrating and my favorite, fermenting! You can store fermented veggies in the root cellar, too. I am still eating dill cuke pickles and tomato salsa from last year. I would literally make a batch of dills during the commercial breaks in my favorite shows after supper. No canning. And nutrient levels go up, not down as in canning.

I am a big fan of using as many different methods as possible so no matter what happens, there will be food SOMEWHERE in my house! :p