Garden trellising

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could split some of the pallets so there is no "in-between" like FC pointed out? It would double the amount of pallets you'd have too.

I have tons of bits and pieces of cattle panels that I'll use for trellising along with the perimeter fences on two sides of the garden. The other two sides are in a 'goat zone' and can't have anything planted on them....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's likely my best option, to split them. I would have a lot more space to grow that way for sure :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be making my own trellis. I'll be getting some small, dead red cedar trees out of the woods since they won't rot. Then, I'll sink them a couple of feet in the ground and put old baling twine on them. For the tomatoes, I'll be doing basically what's called a Florida weave. I'll be weaving the twine on either side of the plants to keep them up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emerald, that is good to mention. give the panel some height. I did that also. stinks when things get buried and are hard to move then and have to be dug out.

WB--using what you have is a good idea. splitting is a good idea.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a good idea.
I have used a kennel panel as a trellis. Worked really well until I had cucumbers growing through the chain link. :lol: Had to break a couple of them in half to get them out. But I planted cucumber seeds on both sides of the kennel panel. Duh.

Last two years, I used a hog panel. That works really well.

This year, I'm using some pallets, too. DH made A frames, with just a short board on each side of them to hold them together. We put two sets together, end to end. The plan of the moment is to plant sweet potatoes on both sides, have the vines go up the sides of the pallets and hopefully cover them.

Our three pekin ducks have pretty much taken over our garden area. It's easy enough to do some temp fencing to keep ducks out of that area until the plants are established. I hope the pallet A frames will give a shaded area for the ducks to hang out in. There will be plenty of vines still on the ground for them to waddle around in and eat.

For tomatoes, I have tall rings made with concrete reinforing panels. 6x6 squares, easy to bend into rings, heavy enough to do the job.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Yeah, that is a good idea.
I have used a kennel panel as a trellis. Worked really well until I had cucumbers growing through the chain link. :lol: Had to break a couple of them in half to get them out. But I planted cucumber seeds on both sides of the kennel panel. Duh.

Last two years, I used a hog panel. That works really well.

This year, I'm using some pallets, too. DH made A frames, with just a short board on each side of them to hold them together. We put two sets together, end to end. The plan of the moment is to plant sweet potatoes on both sides, have the vines go up the sides of the pallets and hopefully cover them.

Our three pekin ducks have pretty much taken over our garden area. It's easy enough to do some temp fencing to keep ducks out of that area until the plants are established. I hope the pallet A frames will give a shaded area for the ducks to hang out in. There will be plenty of vines still on the ground for them to waddle around in and eat.

For tomatoes, I have tall rings made with concrete reinforing panels. 6x6 squares, easy to bend into rings, heavy enough to do the job.
I've had that off and on but now when I walk the fence each day to check my babies I just try to move the developing fruits out of the links/wire.
I know some will say that, that is too much work but I am a plant checking freak when the summer comes.. I'll be out there about 6 to 7 times a day to see what is happening! a little OCD but then I am an at home mommy.. ;) I still get one or two fruits a year that get stuck in the fence but I just let them ripen and pick them for dinner or chow them right out in the garden. yup.. I"m that gal.. standing out in the garden eating my way thru -cucumber/tomatoes/greenbeans/peas.. nothing is safe! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We do also have some hog wire(large squares at the top) fencing I can use for trellising. I just have to get it up and figure out what goes where. Maybe it'd be better for the cukes, and the pallets can be used for something else...squash maybe. I dunno...I just have so much going it's hard to get my head wrapped around what's the next step sometimes :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
depending on your type of squash the wood pallets would probably work well for them. I did try a bigger squash up my fencing one year and ended up with used panty hose tied hammock style to keep them from breaking the vines! :) looked silly and I had to ask a few neighbors for their used nylons. but a few nice tomatoes and cucumbers was worth the trade.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought tromboncino squash seed this year and it is supposed to vine like crazy. I put up cow panels on T-posts. We'll see how this goes. For my green beans, I tie a web of hay twine because it is easier to cut the strings, roll it all up and throw away when the season is over.

Maybe you could do a hybrid trellis with the pallets and some twine. :thumbsup

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm reading these trellis ideas and plotting. Some of it would work great for some of the shorter stuff I am going to plant.

DH has told me he's going to make me an 8 foot tall A frame trellis for the Tall Telephone Peas I want to plant. We'll have to screw the bottom to the raised bed. We get some nasty wind sometimes.

I was just going to use the old dead apple tree branches for the shorter peas.