Gardeners Help!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
The manure is over a year old, but I don't know how much shavings it consists of, since we used shaving two years ago, and straw last winter. Shavings break down much slower, and since I'm not exactly sure what part of the pile hubby got it from, I'm not sure how much (many) shavings are in it. Hubby said it looked well composted, and when I checked it, I thought it did too, but I don't want to take chances if the shavings are still "hot".
Actually having shavings in it would help it compost faster (as well as diluting out the nitrogen) so that the more shavings, the LESS "hot". Too much shavings in too fresh compost can actually create nitrogen *deficiency* in soil, as the shavings temporarily require N to break down (returned for plant use afterwards).

It doesn't take much bedding in horse manure to create a really good ratio for composting. But even with no shavings, horses getting lots of hay will produce manure that composts pretty acceptably on its own without the usual too-much-N problems. A year is PLENTY of time, you should have a good product by now :)

Have fun,

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
As a resident of the Pacific Nortwest, who has some experience using horse manure, I learned to do the following:

Pile up the horse manure and let it sit (preferably under a tarp) for at least 2-3 months before using. I have been using my current pile that is at least 3 months old, but that still has recognizable bits in it and still smells some, by mixing it into existing unamended soil. I'm not noticing any ill effects, but I also made sure I mixed it up real good with the soil and didn't add very much -- 20-30% by volume?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, that puts my mind at ease. My mind does not wrap around these types of things easily. While I have had success at gardening, I always did well with the soil that came with the house, with adequate ammendments. Having to build something up and fill in is new "ground " for me. The garden should be ready to plant in by Saturday. Yay!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Drake, we pile up all our stall cleanings into a big pile, and every now and again, hubby will move it around a bit. We don't cover it, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Next year, I won't have so many concerns. It's just starting from scratch that has me all flustered.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth: I understand . . . making your own soil mix is different from just ammending what is existing. I have heard that 60% sandy loam to 40% compost/composted manure is probably the best mix to use, although I have used a higher percentage of compost/composted manure and not had problems. My comment was directed at trying to answer big brown horse's question about working with manure in the NW, so I was a little bit off topic as to what you were originally asking. :)

Yes, a tarp is probably not essential, but in my neck of the woods it helps keep all the nutrients from washing out of the manure with all the rain we get in the winter. I like to keep the nutrients in the pile if I can.

Edited to add -- good luck with your new garden bed!!!! :weee

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
miss_thenorth said:
The manure is over a year old, but I don't know how much shavings it consists of, since we used shaving two years ago, and straw last winter. Shavings break down much slower, and since I'm not exactly sure what part of the pile hubby got it from, I'm not sure how much (many) shavings are in it. Hubby said it looked well composted, and when I checked it, I thought it did too, but I don't want to take chances if the shavings are still "hot".
Actually having shavings in it would help it compost faster (as well as diluting out the nitrogen) so that the more shavings, the LESS "hot". Too much shavings in too fresh compost can actually create nitrogen *deficiency* in soil, as the shavings temporarily require N to break down (returned for plant use afterwards).

It doesn't take much bedding in horse manure to create a really good ratio for composting. But even with no shavings, horses getting lots of hay will produce manure that composts pretty acceptably on its own without the usual too-much-N problems. A year is PLENTY of time, you should have a good product by now :)

Have fun,

Pat
Depends on the shavings?

Alot of people use "weird" combos of shavings...from peanut hulls to coconut shreds to pine shavings. All will "add" different numbers to your soil.

Need more PH for your garden, use this.
Need more acidic for your garden, use that.

etc. etc.

But I let the horse poo sit in the field for a long time, it is no shavings....I get it from the pasture...since my horses were "never inside" and not on shavings truly.....just some cedar shavings in the stalls to keep all dry. Poo for me was taken from the pasture and broken down by nature.

Latest posts