gardening question...flowers in the garden

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since my garden was a bust this year, I am planning next years triumphant(knock on wood)return. I have been reading about flowers in the garden as bad insect repellers and attractors for pollinators. I am planning on a marigold border around the garden(15x18). I was wondering if ya'll had any favorites to add, or tips and advice to share. Also, are marigolds harmful to any vegetables? Thanks all, and have a blessed day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not harmful! Plant them near your tomatoes, they are said to repel hornworms. Nasturtiums are great for attracting squash borer beetles away from your vines and I have found that sunflowers work in much the same way.

I have found nothing that lures potato bugs away but I'm going to try marigolds next year and maybe even pyrethrum, or Painted Daisies.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This should be helpful. It lists some common flowers that are beneficial along with other good companions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

I printed a copy to go in my folder for future reference when i put in my garden. I plan on marigolds in the border of mine too, and maybe some randomly in the bed.
Bee, you know you can make a pesticide from painted daisies? I want to try that too, pyrethrum is a common pesticide. When my dh worked to Pestco that was one of the things he used, only much more powerful than you can make at home.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i tried to keep the cabbage bugs of mine and the marigolds didnt work! so i got mad and figured that it was a bust and started a 'compost' heap there... but all i had was some mint.

and then

the cabbages started to grow!!! so dont know if it was the mint or what but what a fun find!

i underplant sunflowers all the time - had beans crawling up them this year and i have tons of marigolds too. and lemon balm

:)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I also like to do companion planting - basil and garlic near tomatoes.

The book, Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening, by Louise Riotte, may be in your local library. It is published by Storey Publishing

This is a helpful website.
http://www.companionplanting.net/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I planted marigolds. The bugs ATE THEM!

LOL

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually the bugs ate my marigolds and strawberries too this year. :/ I figured that I had just gotton the wrong kind. I'm going to try a different kind this next year. I read somewhere that some are better than others.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I want to put in another vote for Carrots Love Tomatoes. Great book!

I believe (which is a disclaimer that I could be wrong) that marigolds do not work their magic in one season...I think you need to keep planting them season after season.

Companion planting is more than who get's along with who it is proven that some plants actually grow bigger and stronger with certain plants near them and others just the opposite..... failure to thrive if planted next to the wrong neighbor.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I use the African marigolds. The big ones. The French marigolds are the small flowers. I planted a border around my garden and they did seem to help this year. They are also great for mosquitos, which living here in the south was greatly needed.

Lots of good recommended reading here also. There is also lots of free internet information on companion planting.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AWESOME find Rebecca100, I have a similar copy of the companion list but it was not near as complete as the one you suggested. I found the marigold seeds at
http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/ they are supposed to be the old high fragrance type that wards off bugs they also have nasturtium seed. I get my seed through them when i am looking for a good heirloom seed. They sell in bulk and are fairly reasonable compared to some ive seen

Latest posts