Gardening, what would you do?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, I started plants out earlier in the year, but between limited light and the kids destroying them, I only ended up with a dozen scrimpy sprouts. We put them in the garden as sprouts. Now, I went and sprouted a few new seeds to put them directly into the garden. I was going to put them in then found out that two nights later it was supposed to freeze, and freeze it did, for a week. Now, I'm wondering, should I plant these sprouts, should I start new ones to put in, or should I say eff it and get some "early" tomatoes or, worse yet, just buy started plants and be done with it? I'm pretty well broke, so if I have to buy plants, I won't get very many (maybe four) and won't be able to can them like I had wanted to. I'm also looking at bell peppers and more sweet banana peppers, as well as beets and maybe carrots. Oh, we sowed corn and beans straight into the garden, but haven't seen anything from them. Should I wait it out and see if they still come up, or should I replant that stuff as well?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why couldn't you keep them in pots so you could take them outside in good weather and then bring them inside when the weather is bad? When it is finally warmer, then plant them. I'm totally new to gardening so I really don't have any good advice. But I'm trying some potted plants as well as putting stuff in the garden this year. I figure I will experiment while we still have food on store shelves and it isn't critical that my garden is great. Not to mention that since I'm new at it, I'm bound to make mistakes.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't give up on the sprouts yet! Mine were scraggly from starting them indoors too soon and not enough light, and too many kids, and cats also, so I know exactly what you mean. My scraggly tomatoes, cabbage, and bellpeppers are now turning into nice plants out in the garden where they have good compost and plenty of light. If you are due another freeze then definately don't plant them, if not then put them in the gound and give them a chance to prove themselves. It will beat buying them and if they don't work out then buy some plants to replace them. How long ago did you plant the others and what is their germination time? Was it a hard deep freeze or a light one? Right after you planted or more towards germination time?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, thank you! I don't see anymore freezes, but I didn't see the last one coming either, lol. For the next 10 days, it's not supposed to dip lower than mid 40's. I don't remember when the seeds were planted. I'll have to ask the BF, but I'm not sure if he's coming home tonight or working more over-time. Probably have to wait to ask him. I'll check the germination times though. I did plant those ones within the timeframe on the back of the packets though. I don't really know about the rest of the questions.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Betta, do you have any friends or acquaintances who garden? Most gardeners I know are really willing to help someone out as well as working on the barter system. Maybe you could barter some eggs for plants? Just start asking around to see who gardens and you may be surprised!

In my experience, beans come up fairly fast -maybe 10 days or so? If it's been more than 2 weeks, you probably want to replant those direct. I don't grow corn so I don't know about that. Carrots take a long time before they emerge, at least the 2 different varieties I have grown. I would give them some time. If you have more seeds, I would try that first before going to buy plants. I would also check on CL to see if someone has extras before going to buy them at a retail store. Also, I don't know if you have a farmers market near you but by us, many of them are selling seedlings for quite a bit less that the garden centers and they're much healthier plants. In fact, that might be a good place to network and meet other gardeners!

Hope that helps!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Betta, do you have any friends or acquaintances who garden? Most gardeners I know are really willing to help someone out as well as working on the barter system. Maybe you could barter some eggs for plants? Just start asking around to see who gardens and you may be surprised!

In my experience, beans come up fairly fast -maybe 10 days or so? If it's been more than 2 weeks, you probably want to replant those direct. I don't grow corn so I don't know about that. Carrots take a long time before they emerge, at least the 2 different varieties I have grown. I would give them some time. If you have more seeds, I would try that first before going to buy plants. I would also check on CL to see if someone has extras before going to buy them at a retail store. Also, I don't know if you have a farmers market near you but by us, many of them are selling seedlings for quite a bit less that the garden centers and they're much healthier plants. In fact, that might be a good place to network and meet other gardeners!

Hope that helps!
That's an excellent idea! I don't have any farmer's markets close to me, but I can certainly try some of the ones near my mother's place. There are plenty of amish as well down where the boys' dad lives too, though they're sometimes way overpriced. I know that one of the neighbors usually brings tomatoes over when they harvest, but I don't know if anyone locally has any plants that they'd get rid of. The farmer's market is probably my best bet, plus I can see if they want to barter as well. I don't think they'd barter for my eggs (only have button quail), but I do have soap that seems to be a huge hit. Speaking of which, I really need to get off my butt and get some more batches made. I hate waiting for soap to cure! If I could get my coturnix to lay, I may be able to trade quail for plants... Thanks a ton, I have some hope now, lol.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Mmmm Homemade soap, I would definitely want to help you with your gardening!!! As my DH would say, you never know what people are willing to help you with until you ask.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. My neighbor's are awesome. I just don't want to take advantage. :/ They've given us so much stuff already! Eggs for breakfast, a doghouse for the duck pen, lumber to finish the duck pen, herbs, etc. I suppose if I have a crappy harvest, it will at least save me from figuring out how I'm going to get enough jars and lids, lol.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much. The ground is still a little cold and things are going to take a bit longer. As things warm up everything will get going a little faster and all of a sudden you'll have an explosion of green. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. I'll probably try to keep my tomatoes and see how they go, but still try to trade for started plants, or even trade later in the season for tomatoes. I just cleaned up my 6.5lb mold from the last measley batch of soap. Time to get soaping!