Garlic.....Natures Antibiotic

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
My home grown garlic is part of my emergency prepardness plan.Its been known for its healing properties through out the world for centuries.At some point we may not be able to buy antibiotics made for man or animals( including fish).How many of you grow garlic for health and good eating...? I have over 3000 heads planted now, mostly German White, which i sell locally, each year i grow more.At the present time one must be very careful buying garlic seed.It appears some farmers from a country directly north of the USA, sent nematode infested garlic seed to the states, according to the US Dept .of Agr.They say its getting pretty bad in the northeast USA.Their are plenty of online articles on the topic, easily found googling.Nematodes are wrmy little critter causing root and developmet problems.I would suggest only buying clean local to your area seed, and that could still be risky.Nematodes are difficult to get rid of and spread easily from one farm to another just by wearing infected boots.It may be wise to aviod buying any northern garlic seed until the scope of the problem is clearer, since this is a fairly new problem( last one or two yrs)...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I planted garlic that sprouted in the fridge. So far I have 4 elephant garlic plants and 4 regular. :D

Not very impressive compared to your numbers, but I am new and this is turning out to be a fun experiment.

Thanks for the heads up on the seeds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I didn't know you could grow it from seed....I used cloves. I have about 120 plants, my first successful year with it. Successful so far. I hope we don't have a year like last year when the temps went into the 90's and 100's before May was even over and stayed there until late fall....almost straight into winter. Everything bolted or was cooked to a crisp.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have about twenty going from cloves right now. I plan on doubling my crop every year. We eat garlic in about everything and the more we have, the better. I have done mine in pots so that when we hit the incredibly HOT part of the summer they can be moved into a shadier area so they won't burn up. I love my garlic :D

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla, thats how i started with store bought garlic.Some store bought will grow and some won't.Garlic seed are cloves, and you can also grow garlic from the small seeds that the scapes produce if you let the scapes grow out.Alot of growers cut off the scapes, to increase the bulb size of their garlic.Online stores that sell heads of garlic, for seed stock are suppose to be at least two inches in diameter.The bigger the clove you plant the bigger the head of garlic will be.You can grow garlic from the small seeds that the scapes, after flowering produce, but it will take a couple yrs before you actually get a head of garlic.Clove seed will take one season.I plant in Oct. or Nov an harvest the following July.German White, German Red, Music,Romanian Red and Berkshire Hot are what i grow, they do well on eastern long island.I keep my garlic well mulched with shredded leaves to control weeds and keep moisture in. Garlic loves moist, but not wet soil.I can't grow enough of the stuff, customers at the chicken farm i work at part time go crazy over my garlic.When they come in to buy broilers and eggs, they always ask, whens the garlic coming in..! I'm not a garlic farmer, but this is turning into a profitable hobby.I have garlic growing everywhere...! Its getting hard to find a spot for my tomatoes, eggsplants, etc...
I love garlic.I also make a health tonic with my honey, garlic and store bought Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar...raw and unfiltered....equal parts raw honey and vinegar, with raw garlic through a garlic press.Use as much garlic as you like or can tolerate. This stuff is really good for most people health, unless you have some kind of reaction from one of the ingredients...A google search will reveal all its health properties...Soooo, enjoy growing your garlic, and be sure to get seed, free of nematodes..! I don't know if they sell certified nematode free or not..It's probably best to get some garlic from someone who has been growing garlic for yrs locally and hasn't bought any new seedstock for several yrs.I don't know where Canadians would buy healthy garlic seed from.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have elephant garlic that the people who we bought the house from 7 years ago left.. I plant the little bulbets each year and the smaller cloves.. and use the larger cloves for cooking.. I need to start some other kinds of garlic too..

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First year for use aswell. We have started with 10 cloves.

Keeps vampires and vampire little daughters away too. away too. :weee

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm growing garlic for the first time this year. :) We got a garlic sampler packet from a local seed person, four different varieties, filled up a 20 foot bed. It's already a foot high. I love seeing it out in the garden.

Garlic is a good antimicrobial and immune booster, but it sure isn't the most pleasant of herbal remedies. :rolleyes:

Nematodes? Well, I'll let you know if my crop starts croakin'. And by 'a country directly north of the USA'... Don't you mean Canada? I don't think they're growing garlic in Greenland.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Yep, you said it Dooley, C___da...i don't want to be accused of Flaming the country...lol PirtyKitty, never grew elephant garlic.As far as i know its said to be much milder than other garlics.I've had very good luck with the German white and red varities, as well as Music here on long island.Garlic is great stuff for sure..!