Garlic

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is it too late to plant garlic? Got any tips? Full sun? Partial shade? Heavy or lite feeder?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sowing time is Feb-March or October. If you live in a wet area plant Autumn garlic in a raised bed or wait and sow in Spring.

Each garlic bulb consists of up to twenty individual cloves and it is these cloves which are to be individually planted. Carefully remove the outer skin from the bulb (not from the cloves) and separate into individual cloves. Select the largest eight or so of the cloves which will be on the outside of the bulb.

Plant garlic in at a spacing of 20 - 25cm between plants and 25cm between rows. Plant one clove per spacing with the pointy end facing upwards and about 2 cm below the surface of the soil. (For Autumn sown garlic it's a good idea to mulch the bed with leaves or straw to protect form severe frost.)

Dig the soil well to about a spade's depth before planting, adding as much organic matter as possible to assist with drainage - garlic will rot in water-logged conditions. Some sand mixed in will help with this too. Garlic thrives on a well fed soil, so in late March and again in mid May, feed the soil with general purpose fertiliser.

Garlic is normally ready for harvesting when most of the foliage has turned yellowy-brown - this will be around mid August time.

We grew ours in full sun and it did just fine. Make sure it gets enough water, but don't get it waterlogged, or it will rot.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few cloves of garlic left in the ground from last year and they are up now. So I guess the garlic is saying now is the time to plant. LOL

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The wife planted some yesterday. We will see if anything comes up

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I believe you can plant it earlier, but for best results it's better to wait a little. Please let us know how works out for you and you too, @baymule

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180203_132746.jpg

It sprouted! Wow

It was just some old stuff she had gotten from the grocery store

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They're looking good already :)

I cooked something with garlic this afternoon and the clove I used had a good size sprout going. I ate it :hide I think I should grow some garlic too. I like it and eat a fair bit of it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the wife uses ALOT of it canning