Gearing Up for Gardens thread...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I looked back through and couldn't find a thread to revive on revving up for gardening for our forum. I know we should be taking all that over to TheEasyGarden and some of the stuff I will....but I got so excited today while buying some seeds and stuff that I could barely contain myself!

What is everyone else doing right now to prepare for their gardening year? I know some of you lucky ones are already in the ground and growing...which turns me green with envy! :sick

I got most of my seeds this week, got my potting soil, got some onion sets, arranged for manure delivery, growing lights up and ready to run.

I need: a tiller, a solar fence charger, posts and wire, more seed, maybe more cell packs and flats, red seed potatoes, a new sprayer, a repair kit for the garden hose, faucet fittings for my plastic barrel, a hand pump for the extra well and, above all things....patience to wait for the money to get all of the above! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My favorite garden is the longest one converted to organic. It is soft, rich, dark and south facing.

Last Friday, I planted out all the early spring greens: Choy, spinach, lettuce, 2 kales, chard, etc. Plus, radishes, parsnips, carrots, beets, mustard.

Then, I went to the north-facing slope and trudged through the snow to gather maple sap :) Gotta love those south-facing slopes!

ETA: I forgot about the garlic! I got in approximately 850 cloves last fall but didn't get them all heavily mulched, so I was worried. Their beautiful rows of 1" of green make me smile :) Plus, the garlic greens come up every year about this time. Potatoes are sprouting in a cool basement bedroom and ready to go in at any time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got my starting mix and ordered the last of my seeds. Scouted out the shop lights at Lowes. Got two grape plants and two bags of onion sets, and the organic sweet potato on the counter is finally starting to sprout!

The hens are almost done tilling one of my gardens, and are starting on the new one, as I turn the turf and add compost. Gotta get my 2hp tiller set up in the front-of-the-house gardens, which I will expand a few feet into the front lawn this year. Snow came off a roof and warped it, so I have to get it back into working order and store it somewhere else next year... :rolleyes:

I plan to start some seeds around April 1, so I have a few more days to get ready and a couple of weeks to get the light set up.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Called a local horse farm for some of their ..uh.."Fertilizer". Have seedlings in the windowsill. Bought a new tiller this year since the one that was given to us went totally kerfluey. This one should last for years.
I have all my seeds, will probably pick up some seedlings in a few days.

Have onion and potato sets and a few strawberry plants.

I'm so excited! I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My potato plants are coming up. I just got some leeks in the ground, probably a bit late. I have small tomato and pepper seedlings started. My garlic is growing well, and strawberry plants are coming up. I have a few cabbage plants in the ground and I built a new small raised bed which is now planted in lettuce. Unfortunately, I have limted sunny areas.

I need to work on building more raised beds!

Happy Gardening, everyone.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have onion sets in along with broccoli, cabbage and 2 year old asparagus crowns.

The rain beat me to the cauliflower.

The last couple of weeks, the weather has been very springlike, upper 60s to low 70s. Alot of people were itchin to get the tender stuff out. I hope they didn't. Sunday night, there's a possible freeze comming.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am forever moving things around in my beds trying different plants on different areas of my property. This year I added a tomato bed on an eastern facing slope. I hope it gets enough sunshine. If not I will plant some blueberries there next year.

I built a couple of those upside down tomato plants I wanted to try. Picked up a cube of mulch to add to one bed. Oh, and I got a role of wire to make a couple of those potato rounds. Fruit trees are leafing out, I need to give them a good spray of copper. I am waiting for a load of horse manure from my sil, but the tractor is broke in my driveway so it won't be coming any time soon.

After Saturday my schedule will all be about the yard and garden. I have a bunch of those stacking blocks to move and intend to build another terrace. I hope by back survives.

You all have such large gardens, I don't know how you manage them. Crazy!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The top two whole inches of my veg garden are now thawed. I do have two flowers on my extra-super-earliest crocus that is in a major heat-trap location against the S side of the house.

I do have some lettuce transplants that I hope today to put in containers in the plastic-covered front chicken run (currently uninhabited).

But as far as actual outdoor planting goes? Forget it :p

Pat

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got about 500 tomato, pepper, and herb seedlings down in my grow room. STILL have to get the melons started downstairs and then I'll be done until time to actually harden the plants and plant out.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow!! That is a LOT of plants, farmerlor! Wouldn't I love to be eating salsa from your garden this summer :)