German Octoberfest

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never learned to like beer. I will use a can of beer and Bisquick for some real good beer biscuits. LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never learned to like beer. I will use a can of beer and Bisquick for some real good beer biscuits. LOL

Maybe you just never had one you liked, so many different styles and varieties to choose from. I draw the line at overly hopped beers. I like the hint of malty sweetness to come through and not have my head blown off by the power of hops. But not overly sweet either. I guess my tastes for beer is very narrow in comparison to most people. To me it has to be enjoyable to drink or I don't drink it. Life is to short to be wasted on bad beer :)

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love good beer. NH and Vermont are big into craft beers, so I'm surrounded by good choices :) bad beer though, is a terrible thing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like a really nice dark beer..

Yeah... A sniff of the air lock smells like spiced rum but what I'm smelling is both the dark Cara Munich German malt and the floral herbal scent of the Hallertauer Tradition German hops.

I can't get to happy just yet... This Octoberfest is going to spend 6 to 8 weeks lagering @ 35 to 40 degrees before I even bottle it.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Day 12 - temperature is at 66 degrees, fermentation has picked back up, so the Diacetyl Rest has begun. I'm going to run it for 3 more days. Then syphon into a 5 gallon pet plastic carboy to lager @ 35 to 40 degrees for 6 to 8 weeks. I'm a little concerned a glass carboy might break being that cold for 6 to 8 weeks. I wished I had a white oak barrel to lager this in, maybe eventually....
IMG_20190404_165544883.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love good beer. NH and Vermont are big into craft beers, so I'm surrounded by good choices :) bad beer though, is a terrible thing.

I've also heard craft beers are big up there. Here in the Midwest not so much :( you have to go searching for craft brews.

Personal I like simple beers, good water, single base malt, single dual purpose hop and a natural tasting yeast, simple is better for me.

I had one beer that tasted like fruity pebbles cereal once. I don't remember the brand name but two drinks was all I could do before it went down the drain. :sick

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You can get craft beers in the supermarket here :) It's very popular and well supported.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are several brewerys in our area, one in downtown Tyler. Maybe I should go try one.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There seems to be a microbrewery around every corner here in Wisconsin. lol
And I don't like beer. Which makes me desiganted driver.

I drank a whole can of beer once - on a hot day in August after hauling firewood for 3 hours. Anything cold and wet would have been appreciated at that time. I don't like the Mikes Hard lemonades or stuff like that either.

Give me a good, made from scratch Whiskey Old Fashioned and I am happy.