German Octoberfest

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Day 57 - bottle day 14

Its a bit to hoppy for my taste. The aroma hops are spot on but bittering/flavoring hops are a bit much. Next batch I'll be cutting back on bittering hops to 1/2 ounce from 1 ounce. They overpower the delicate caramel flavor and leave a bitter taste in the back of my throat, which I really dislike in a beer. This bitter taste may mellow with a little more age in the bottle. I'll check again in another week or so.

It's not so bad as i would dump it down the drain or anything like that, but it's nowhere near as good as my golden american wheat ale. It may just need more age to reach its full potential. It's a nice looking clear, see through dark red beer, with a thin white head. Its just ---> meh <-- at this point.
IMG_20190602_194731.jpg

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you tried this since your last post? maybe it just needed more time in the bottle to mellow out that bitterness.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you tried this since your last post? maybe it just needed more time in the bottle to mellow out that bitterness.

Yes, I've tried it just last week. My sons like it and it has mellowed but still to hoppy for me. It has all the right ingredients, its most definitely an Oktoberfest with that delicate caramel flavor that says hey this is an Oktoberfest I'm drinking, Its just to hoppy.

I made this same batch but with 1/2 the hops for my Oktoberfest party I'm planing. I have it in a pony keg lagering @35 degrees for several weeks now, along with a amber Oktoberfest also. Hopefully 10 gallons of beer will be enough for the party.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are spoiling your friends, you know. Soon they will expect nothing but the best from you.

Reminds me of talking to an new winery owner once. I commented about how much I liked his apple wine and he said "yes, that one was a source of many drunken nights behind the barn to get it just right!" He had a bunch of friends always ready to taste his latest batch of "test wine". We moved away 2 months after they opened for business, hopefully they are still in business with the apple orchard and winery. nice people.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are spoiling your friends, you know. Soon they will expect nothing but the best from you.

Reminds me of talking to an new winery owner once. I commented about how much I liked his apple wine and he said "yes, that one was a source of many drunken nights behind the barn to get it just right!" He had a bunch of friends always ready to taste his latest batch of "test wine". We moved away 2 months after they opened for business, hopefully they are still in business with the apple orchard and winery. nice people.

Ok... I just pulled a bottle out of the fridge that I put in there last week. Is this really the same Oktoberfest I brewed the end of March 2019, that was way to hoppy? Why yes it is... and my how it's changed into a "pretty" good beer now. It's still just a tad to hoppy for me but nothing like it was. Eventhough it has mellowed considerably over the course of about 10 months and also darkened considerably. It's still not a kit I would brew again, let alone serve to my family and friends. But at least it's drinkable for me now. I guess time heals wounds and beer.

It's turned very dark and taken on a new flavor profile, I taste a hint of blackberry, which is very odd... It's more like a black lager now than an Oktoberfest. But hey at least it's a drinkable beer now.
IMG_20200120_202346593.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - that's dark!

It surprised me, how darker it is now.

After looking at the ingredients on the first post. I think I understand what's up with this "German Oktoberfest". The hops were called Tradition which is a Hallertauer Gold and Saaz cross. Hallertauer Gold is a cross between Hallertauer and Kent Golding. So this hop is a cross of a cross.Specifically bred for fungus and disease resistance. So this is far from the German nobble hops, I know and like so much.

It's kind of like taking a hybrid tomato and a herloom tomato, sitting them side by side and tasting each one. 9 times out of 10 your gonna like the flavor of the herloom better. Same thoughts go for hops... But in the hop world "Noble" would equal Heriloom in the vegetable world.

I just read that Tradition hops have a floral and herbal aroma, characteristic tastes are earthy, grassy, nectar fruits.

This must be where the slight blackberry flavor comes from (caramel malt + Nectar Fruits = Blackberry???) Now I know not to use tradition in any German brews from here on out.

But might not be too bad for a blackberry wheat experimental brew?

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those looks like top of the crop ingredients.. I'm here in the Philippines and i would like to do the same. the question is where will i get these excellent ingredients?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those looks like top of the crop ingredients.. I'm here in the Philippines and i would like to do the same. the question is where will i get these excellent ingredients?

You should be able to find ingredients at a Local Homebrew Shop. I did a Google search and it seems there are many in the Philippines.