Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to help us gardeners to think outside the box in terms of crop management:
1.companion planting.
2. interplanting.
3. succession crops.
4. extending the season from the front and back end in the typical garden.

There is a lot of literature about companion planting: statements about how one plant "likes" an other or otherwise benefits from close proximity of that other plant, and how some plants are antagonists.

I would like this thread to be anecdotal in nature: Tell us what YOU'VE tried. Tell us what has WORKED FOR YOU. And tell us what has not worked the way you expected. If possible, place your information under the appropriate heading noted in first paragraph. Some bits of information may come under more than one heading.

I'll start with a single entry:
2. Interplanting: I never dedicate space for radish. But, I use a LOT of radish seed. French Breakfast is by far my favorite b/c of it's nice shape, it's tenderness, and non biting flavor. I sow it among any greens, in my carrot bed, at the ends of any planted rows. It acts as a marker, to remind me that I've already planted a crop there. It's also a space saver. It establishes quickly, shading out weed seeds, while the intended crop (such as lettuce) gets established. Then, those radish plants get removed, allowing more space for the lettuce.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:old Good post. I have a hard time with onions for the very reason that I don't keep them well weeded. Onions are heavy feeders, and are particular about their nutrients AND WATER CONSUMPTION, and many varieties are dependent on correct day length at the correct time for good bulb formation.

Lets hear more words of wisdom.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thus far nothing interesting lol . I quit planting pumpkins, I just throw seeds in the manure pile from the barn. I've never grown such lovely pumpkins. Other than that... I've got nothing!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your nothing is certainly something. You've learned how to produce a bumper crop of pumpkins without: dedicating garden space, having them take over your garden, and without having to spend time meeting the water and nutrient needs of these heavy feeders.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've used companion planting(some worked, some didn't), sacrifice crops(to good effect), and cover crops. I'll have to think awhile, rev up the memory on just what I have used over the years and how they all performed.

GREAT thread!!! :thumbsup

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wonderful thread idea, @Lazy Gardener Thanks! Since I moved here I'm practically a beginner again, trying to figure out this soil and WET weather, which is completely different from what I used to work with.