Getting my feet wet: trying out this fermenting thing.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Taking the advice of a couple of the folks on here, I decide to give this fermenting thing a shot. I am reading up on cheese making and was looking for beginners advice. I was told to try making yogurt first. I had already had great success with sour dough (that's fermented right?) and so I tried last night. I also tried to make cultured butter. I am kinda nervous about leaving food out on purpose. I can not believe how well it turned out this morning! The butter is wonderful and the yogurt actually set! So after having success with this, I gonna try fermenting pickles next. I think I'm gonna have to make the butter and yogurt a few more times before I am comfortable enough to move on to cottage cheese (I'm trying to take baby steps). How did ya'll start out fermenting foods? What are your favoriet recipes?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've started a lot; either I forgot about them and fiance threw them away, or like the salsa, I gave it away after fermenting because it was miracle gro tomatoes.

However, I'm starting sourdough!! And a spin on a popular drink from pakistan...its in the works ;)

Do you have Nourishing Traditions yet?! Or Wild Fermentations?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am kinda nervous about leaving food out on purpose.
The thing about culturing and fermenting, over short time periods anyhow and without anaerobic conditions being involved, is that your nose is a pretty good guide to food safety. If it smells like something you shouldn't eat, don't eat it (although some things *can* smell awful and still be perfectly fine); if it smells edible, it generally IS edible :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Have you read the fermenting encyclopedia.....er....I mean the fermenting thread? "What are you fermenting today?" or something like that?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I thought the ginger carrots were nasty, but several other items I made got much better with some aging....kinda like wine!