Getting Pressure Checked on Canner

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder -most county extension offices will do a free pressure check on your canner. I had mine done earlier this week, and it was 2 lbs off :ep. I also came home with a bunch of pamphlets with specifics for canning and gardening in our local area and a list of upcoming classes. It's a good resource that many people don't think or remember about. Happy Canning!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The closest one to me is New Hampshire! MA and CT don't offer the service, last time I checked. NH said I could ship, but the manufacturer says that shipping can throw the gauge off. I've been simply hoping mine is ok. So far no one has died.... :rolleyes:

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hmmm... I didn't realize they weren't everywhere. If shipping can damage it, how come amazon and places can ship out new ones? I would think if it was packed well, it'd be fine. Probably not a big deal to have it checked or not but if you do have an extension office, it's a good service to know about!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, when I lived in Maine the extension service was great! My canner instructions said to get it checked at the local extension office after receiving it as the shipping can knock the gauge out of calibration. And again each year. Hmmmph. Pathetic that two whole states don't offer this service anywhere.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought every state had extension offices as well.