getting started is scary!!!!

bucknercrestfarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
So today is my kidos last day of public school. i get so worried am i doing the right thing with homeschooling? will i provide what my 3 kids will need? im soo scared i dont even know were to start then i think oh no there gose what ever little bit of mental stabilty ive got! but i keep think of my son he had to repeat kindergarden this year and he came home crying saying his teachers wont listen i talk to the teacher she pointed out they got 27 kid they only have so much time to spend with each indevidual!! i got to home school

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Take a deep breath, asnd jump in with both feet. You won't know if its the right thing unless you try it, that, and you already think it is the best thing. Trust yourself. You can do it!!!

:welcome

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of folks here who homeschool and they can help! You certainly can't do too much worse than our "education system". :he

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It is not nearly as bad as it seems from the start. By this time next year you'll be wondering why you were being so silly worrying about it ;) Have fun with it! And :welcome

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome. I just started homeschooling this year and I know exactly how you feel. It feels overwhelming. I found a great homeschooling group and they are really helpful. They meet once a month in the park for the kids to play and the adults can share ideas and such. Ds was failing and this has really helped him. Just take a deep breath and go with it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
As long as you are not trying to be a public school at home, you will be just fine.
I see this often.
Keeping the classroom schedule, and the extracurricular activities at a fever pace. I can't really say I have seen that work out all that well.

Relax, and find a rhythm that works well for your family. Don't be afraid to try new things if the current is not working out very well.
And be observant for individuality with each child.
These are the things that can make hs work very well.

bucknercrestfarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you guys! was having a mini break down like walking into a massive mess and you got to take a moment to regroup!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You'd probably enjoy getting together with other homeschoolers in your area. Look online or ask around for your local homeschooling support group. There will be tons of people willing to listen and to help.

Take the summer to unwind, have fun and get some ideas about what your children need and want from their education. Then in a few months, you will know how you want to proceed.

Welcome and good luck!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know it can seem overwhelming, but once you get into it, it gets easier. :)

Finding a local support group is a good idea.

Don't spend a ton of money on curriculum ... You may find this one or that isn't the best suited, and it's easier to change if you haven't invested a fortune. Many places have used curricula in local stores, through church groups, and don't forget eBay. The library is your friend. Even a poor public library is like gold, but one with a good base of parent/teacher books is invaluable. Check out interlibrary loan too ... Some places it is still free.

Especially if you are starting with younger children, just focus on the basics. Learning to read, know colors, counting and simple math concepts are easy to teach in a low-key, games kind of way.

You don't have to teach EVERY subject every day. I started out teaching reading, kindergarten math concepts, and just reading a lot of books. There are MANY great children's books out there that introduce science, history, etc. Experiment books that use simple materials are fun and teach resourcefulness as well as the topic they focus on, and keep kids interested. Biographies written to involve and interest kids in the lives of historical figures are great.

The nice thing about homeschooling (ONE of the nice things) is that you cam follow your child's interests. I started with the basics, then by 4th grade I was teaching web design, typing, foreign languages, creative writing, and all sorts of things my child WANTED to learn. Her handwriting wasn't the best, but I didn't make her spend hours practicing it. (I figured if nothing else, most things are entered by keyboard anyway!) But guess what? Within two years, her handwriting was perfectly fine anyway. And we never had to struggle over it.

Don't stress. I forget the figures, but a large percentage of classroom time is spent on management details -- lining up, changing classes, handing out paper, etc. You can accomplish much more instruction in a shorter time. So don't worry about falling behind. If you are diligent, you will end up ahead. It does take a while to develop what works for you, so don't worry about it in the beginning.

Relax, get support and resources and information, and have fun. Providing your children with one-on-one instruction by the person who knows them best certainly puts you ahead of a teacher struggling with 27 children.

(And btw, I teach school now, so I've been on both ends of it. I MUCH prefer smaller classes and one-on-one or small tutoring sessions!)

S

sunsaver

I wasn't home schooled, but my father would take note of any subject i was interested in. For example, one day i asked him about some wierd looking mushrooms in the front yard. He warned me not to eat them, of course, but the next day he brought home a college textbook about mushrooms. It was always like a surprise presant, and soon i was hooked on non-fiction books. Trips to the library became a regular thing. Most of what i know now i learned on my own, at my own pace, from books. I ignored school, neglected homework, and had D's and F's my entire time there.
These days; we have the internet with plenty of .edu sites, and forums like this one where we can all share our knowledge, and a little bit of wisdom as well. :welcome

Latest posts