getting started is scary!!!!

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have seven kiddos and have always homeschooled them - but even when you start rght from the beginning at home it can be scarey at first. First thing you've gotta remember is don't freak out! Let your kids take the whole summer off and while their enjoying being kiddos read lots of homeschooling resources. There are so many different options now - it can be pretty overwhelming trying to find the right fit for you and your family. Do not go crazy and spend alot of money on something that seems like THE perfect curriculum because what seems perfect at first may not be as you get into it. Read up on things online and see what you can do for free or cheap to start with. We use www.amblesideonline.org (a free resource) for our main curriculum back bone - it's a literature approach - and my kids are thriving with it. Lots of great classic literature - much of which can be read online for free or can be checked out from the library. But even with that we drop the things that don't work for us and toss in a subject or two from other curriculum suppliers - an ecclectic approach.

You can do this! The first year or two can be nerve wracking - if you have a group near you that meets occasionally you'll find it a great resource - not only for homeschooling ideas but for encouragement and support as you go along.

I've second guessed myself and our approach about a million times and I'm sure I will a million more as we go but we've just reached our first big payoff (well, we've had lots of milestones, but this one is one that *society* recognizes) my 16 year old son (our oldest) has just passed the entrance exam for college and will start full time in the fall. He should have his AA degree by the time most public school kids are graduating from highschool. I'm a little nervous about this as this will be the first classes he has taken in a classroom setting - but he's excited and we're excited for him. He has a little math to finish up on at home over the next year but other than that he has completed all the subjects that he needs for highschool - I think he's ready for the challenge of college.

Take a few deep breaths and then *try* to relax and enjoy the ride!

Blessings!

chatreed

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
homeschooling is not that horrible,just get a good plan and play with kids

Latest posts