Getting Sticky OFF

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grab the can of Pam and give it a healthy spray. Later I add baking soda, some elbow grease and usually it comes right off. But like others have said, there are some that just plain won't come off!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay, I knew yall were smart!! Some good ideas here. Some of the paper came off because it did get wet. The GT's Kombucha bottles are easy to get the labels off of. This peanubutter jar, not so much... should have rubbed the leftover peanutbutter on the outside of the jar! :gig

As for gum, when my other half knelt in gum while he was photographing a wedding and got it on the knee of his pants (seriously, who spits out their gum on the floor of a church!?) my mom searched online and found that using warm vinegar on it will get the gum out. It WORKS, better than anything I've seen before! Use a toothbrush to gently work the gum in towards the center, and it just comes right off. His pants hardly have a mark on them at all now.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Yay, I knew yall were smart!! Some good ideas here. Some of the paper came off because it did get wet. The GT's Kombucha bottles are easy to get the labels off of. This peanubutter jar, not so much... should have rubbed the leftover peanutbutter on the outside of the jar! :gig
What????...you have leftover peanut butter? :ep

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have yall had trouble with labels for freezer use? Think, what besides freezer tape will stick. The hot melts become brittle and will fall of with a scuff, Freezer Bags have those write on areas for a reason. try leaving your cans overnight. If it don't work I'll give your money back.

hqueen13

Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
hqueen13 said:
What????...you have leftover peanut butter? :ep
No, no, I meant what was left on the inside of the jar that wouldn't come out easily, LOL. Too bad I needed it on the outside of the jar!

hqueen13

Reaction score
~gd said:
Have yall had trouble with labels for freezer use? Think, what besides freezer tape will stick. The hot melts become brittle and will fall of with a scuff, Freezer Bags have those write on areas for a reason. try leaving your cans overnight. If it don't work I'll give your money back.
You mean put the jars into the freezer overnight?
I'm game, I will try it tonight and report back (whenever I remember to pull the jars out of the freezer that is...)

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use old glass beer bottles for making my own beer and wine. So I do batches of 50-100 at a time. I soak them in the bath tub with super hot water and Oxyclean (actually I use a cheap off-brand). Any oqygen based cleanser should do. Many of the labels fall right off, some companies use SUPER-STICKY gunk... I have found those aren't worth my time, I discard them. A little oxyclean or baking soda on a moist, abbrassive scrubby and the remainder of the gunk scrubs off.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Update on my sticky jars and bottles...

The freezing method probably would have worked if I had taken the time to use a razor blade and elbow grease. I didn't have the time, and wasn't too super keen on working with a knife on a round surface.

I remembered that a while back I had used warm vinegar to remove gum from my other half's pants when he knelt in it on accident while photographing a wedding. I thought I'd give it a shot and see what it did on regular sticky.

For the Kombucha bottles that I keep it just made a gooey mess of it, so that didn't work.

But on the peanut butter jar it worked AMAZING!! I had gotten part of the label off, and where it was almost nothing but glue left I was able to scrub it away completely with a toothbrush. Easy peasy!! I took my bigger pyrex 4 cup measure and filled it with hot water and a glug of vinegar and let the jar soak in it while I was gone. When we got back from errands several hours later, I scraped the rest of the label off and then used the toothbrush to scrub the rest of the leftover glue off easily!

So thrilled to find such an easy solution to the issue of the tough glue.

The kombucha jars are not too bad if I fill them with hot water, the label mostly comes off. If I get it hot enough the label will pretty much peel off with the sticky still on it. The trick is getting it hot enough without busting the glass. I think the next time I do it I'll fill it with hot tap water, while heating up water on the stove, dump the tap water and then fill it with the hot water out of the pot which should be hotter. Hopefully that will have it coming off easily. When that fails, lemon essential oil does a great job, I would just rather not have to use so much lemon oil, it takes quite a few drops to clean one bottle.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Regular old cooking oil will get the stick from mousetraps off of you... and your four year old and two year old children for that matter!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Regular old cooking oil will get the stick from mousetraps off of you... and your four year old and two year old children for that matter!
Speaking from experience?:D