getting very frustrated looking for a dog to adopt

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, I'll judge.

WHY are you married to this guy again??

Lol, sorry. He sounds exactly like my dad. :/

Maybe you ought to get a dog for YOURSELF? :D
Then, when, or if, he grows some. er. um. you know. then he can get himself his own dog!

:hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In my house, if you aren't willing to do something or actively help with something, your input isn't necessary. Not very helpful in your case, I know :p

I would give hubby a deadline. If he hasn't selected the "perfect" dog by then, let the kids pick.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
If he doesn't want to do the hunting, then he needs to just accept what you find and get.

What are the chances he'll turn down a dog thats standing in the living room with a silly grin?

Just pick a dog YOU'll love and forget about his list of wants...

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had labs for years. Definitely not small house typa dogs ;) BUT if you are looking for a smaller version of a lab with a darker coat colour (and perhaps more interesting coat colour) you *might* consider looking at F1 MINI labradoodles. You can get *very* labby looking F1s that have hardly *any* poodle traits. We have an F1 MINI labradoodle, he's mum's stud dog and he topped out at 25lbs, is short and compact and eats hardly anything at all (and we feed Royal Canin, IMO you're better off buying a good quality food that you won't have to feed a lot of, like Orijen or Royal Canin).

Trust me though, if you look for Mini's BE SURE that dad is the poodle (TOY POODLE, or very small Mini poodle!) and mom is a smaller Lab. If the owner tells you that the baby will reach 40lbs THAT IS NOT A MINI. It really is a hard game looking for the type of dog you want, and if you do look at the f1 mini labradoodle, make sure if your hubby wants a more "labby' looking dog to insist you look at the throwbacks. All f1 litters have at least one throwback, often the whole litter is more wirey haired than poodle looking.

Standards can range from 60lbs-120lbs
Mediums 35lbs - 50lbs
Minis around the 25-30lb range (but can get bigger if you get a male)
Petites 10-20lbs

A lot of breeders and even the labradoodle rescues call the Mediums, Minis and that is not at all correct.

Just something to think about. Good luck finding your doggy friend!

As a side note, Labradoodles do not at all have the energy level of a Lab, they're a bit calmer and are fantastic with kids. However, a dog is what you make it. If you don't socialize it with kids, it won't be good with kids. At as an added bonus, it seems they absolutely love cats lol. I think its the poodle in them. Poodles are very much "cat" type dogs (we have one named Kitty, she seriously thinks shes a cat). We have 3 cats in the house and they all sleep together lumped on the sofa (yes, 6 dogs AND 3 cats on the sofa... and its only a loveseat ;) ).

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Do we have the same husband? :barnie

My dog story. 5 years ago I was looking for a dog. It was time. I very specifically wanted a special needs dog but knew my limitations on how sever the needs could be. I also needed a dog that did not have agression issues.

So I searched and seached. Shelters, rescue groups, etc. I emailed about a deaf dog about 60 miles from me, filed out all the paper work, set up the meeting, yada, yada. Just before the meeting the foster mom called and said she decided to keep the dog. Same thing happened 3 more times with different dogs who were in foster care. One of which the process got all the way to me taking the dog for a weekend to be sure. I even took off work to go to vet visits to learn how to deal with this particular dogs leg problem.

Finally after jumping through all the hoops and dancing to all the tunes and still no dog I said forget it.

3 days later my cell phone rings. DH is on the other end asking me where I am. I said on my way home why? His only response is hurry up, I have a surprise for you. He hung up. Can you believe that? Just tells me he has a surprise and hangs up the phone.

I arrive home, rush in the house and say, "Wheres my surprise". He just sits there, nothing. So I do the hand on the hip thing, with the glare (you know the one). He grins and nods his head towards the fire place. I turn around and low and behold there lays a beautiful chocolate lab just looking at me.

After I complete the snoopy dance of joy, pet the dog, and ramble on for a few minutes. I finally ask, where did this dog come from.

Apparently it had been in my neighbors shed for a few days. It had been raining solid for a week. Everytime their dog went out it would stand at the shed door and bark like crazy. Finally it quit raining enough for them to go see what was going on. They found this dog just laying there.

So I got my dog, it was just sent to me. No one responded to any of the found dog flyers and no one posted any lost dog ads.

5 years later we are still a perfect match.

Moral of the story. Be patient.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree. Be VERY patient and perhaps open up your search to include other parts of Ontario. Your perfect dog might be waiting for you somewhere else.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Am already using a 100-mile search radius including parts of W NY state; DH would never agree to drive to, like, Sarnia or Kingston to look at a dog anyhow :p No labradoodles, except from pound and (as per DH) not poodley-looking.

Blackbird said:
Ok, I'll judge. WHY are you married to this guy again??
Yeah yeah, I know I know. I agree :p Hindsight is 20/20. But here I am, gotta live the life I'm *in*. He does have a few good traits (although not mostly *practical* ones, LOL)

Maybe you ought to get a dog for YOURSELF? big_smile
Then, when, or if, he grows some. er. um. you know. then he can get himself his own dog!
You know what, BB, I had not thought about it in exactly that way... but you know, if this were to drag on too egregiously long with no movement towards either a) compromise or b) personal exertion on his part, I might just do that, now that you mention it. Mind you I would still have to talk him into it, but I would be ok (beyond a certain point in the process) just saying "Hey, you can't find a dog YOU want for YOURself, fine - don't deprive me and the kids of a dog because of it - we will get a dog for US and then if YOU want to turn up a second dog later on, yourself, on your OWN time, go right ahead". It would go over like a lead balloon, but, still.

Have to keep it in mind ;)

Pat

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I reread what I previously wrote. Jee that sounds bad. :rolleyes: How uncouth of me. Guess I've seen far too many idiot husbands.

:hugs

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you DO get a Labra-doodle, for gawds sake DON'T PAY A LOT FOR IT!
It is, after all a mix breed dog. Those "designer" breeders that sell those for big bucks, really chap my backside........
They act as though they are doing the "breed" a service when all they are truly doing is running a darn mix breed puppy mill. :somad

Back on track and off my soapbox....
Labs make great housedogs. Both of ours go about 75-80 lbs and they only eat a cup of kibble in the AM and another cup in the PM. We feed Taste of The Wild which is a premium feed. We supplement with veggies and yogurt and a few fruits as treats.

Shirley Ann is standing, Ginger Snap is the other Chocolate, and Gracie Sue is the Golden Retriever.
379633055.jpg

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I reread what I previously wrote. Jee that sounds bad. :rolleyes: How uncouth of me. Guess I've seen far too many idiot husbands.
LOL, not uncouth at all and I did not take any offense at all, you are RIGHT and I am pretty much :rolleyes: about it too :p

With kids involved, one sort of has to make the best of it. Could be worse.

(e.t.a -- *beautiful* dogs, SKR8PN! :))

Pat