Getting wax off vegetables?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought some rutabagas for the first time. They are coated in wax. Looks like someone dipped them in parafin. How do you get that stuff off?

Silly me, I tried putting them in a sink of hot water and scrubbing. Just moved it around some and made a mess. Then I had the bright idea to throw them in the freezer for a few minutes and maybe chip it off. That didn't work so good either. I guess I could just peel them before cooking?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We peel them. I use a sharp knife against a cutting board, and dh uses a veg peeler. I don't feed these peelings to my critters. :/

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks Free. That's kind of what I thought but sometimes I have my head so far up a book I don't see obvious solutions to common tasks. Just thought I would throw it out there in case I was missing something :D.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I know, I wrestled with those silly veggies until I figured out a safe way to peel them without cutting my own fingers off! We love them. We brought rutabaga and carrots mashed together to a potluck last night and they were a hit. DH put lots of butter and goat's milk in them. I couldn't believe how many people asked how to make them....very few people in the room (20-25?) even knew what a rutabaga was!

We also brought homemade soda and wine. People are fascinated by us. :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't believe it is possible to fully unwax vegetables, not even lightly waxed ones, so I am with freemotion, just peel the thing :)

Pat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking of the Karate Kid? Wax on, Wax off.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Well, it's also pretty silly for me to spend 20 minutes trying to get wax off of a 50 cent vegetable... Sometimes I get so caught up in saving money that it is easy to forget what my time is worth. Definitely worth a lot more than losing the amount of the peeling!

bklunde

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I removed most of the wax from a rutabaga by microwaving it for two minutes in a bowl. Then, I boiled it for about 3 minutes. I could see that I removed more of the wax by boiling. I did not want to peel it, because I wanted to bake it in the oven with a chicken and potato.

A few weeks ago, I baked one, with the wax on, for about 2 hours at 325 F. I had left home while it was baking. When I got home, the house was full of blue haze and a burnt odor. The wax had melted off and was in the bottom of the pan, but it had caused the haze and the odor.

After I removed the wax this week, by microwaving and boiling, there was no burnt odor after baking the rutabaga. It tasted good, too.

bklunde

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's one way to handle it. I just peel, but if I ever need to keep one whole, it is nice to know a dewaxing method.