GI tract issues

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sorry for this being so, graphic? But I'm at a loss.

So for the past week+ I've been sick, last thurs-sun I had to work so I just got sicker and sicker. (Cough, fever, aches, exhaustion, congestion.) That whole weekend is a blur, I'm not sure what really went on. Monday I was finally able to stay home from work. Monday & Tuesday I had no bowel movements, found it odd but I was already too sick to notice/care. Wednesday morning I had a bit of runny bowel movement, but was TOO sick at this point and just noted this all to the dr when I went in.

He put me on amoxicillin and codeine cough syrup, I stayed in a fairly knocked out state until thursday night. Thursday was when I started getting the runs, but Friday I *had* to go back to work and couldn't let nature work itself out, so I took Immodium A-D. No bowel movements Friday, I think a little last, and tonight my bowels exploded :/

I have to work tomorrow but will be home tues and wed to let everything work itself out.

Should I take kefir? Kombucha? Herbs to help? I don't know what to do to get myself back on track intestine wise.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes. Kefir, kombucha, live sauerkraut or any veggie ferments, anything with live cultures will help. Antibiotics kill the good beasties in our intestines along with the bad beasties and it will take a while to get stocked up again....we should all have something like four pounds of the little guys!

Poop happens. Then again, sometimes it doesn't. :D

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL, thanks Free :D

Ill grab some Bio-K too! My grandfather almost died years ago from all his good bacteria dying off. This is before doctors knew about the importance of good bacteria, but the health food store saved his life ironically. Oh, and this was 2002? Lol.

Anyways, ill go load up on live food. I just hate that I haven't been able to let this right itself.

I also hate that I had to take antibiotics, but by wednesday morning I had already had two accidents because I literally couldn't get up to the bathroom :/ *sigh*

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You poor thing! Yikes!

Yeah the good bacteria are getting killed off by the antibiotics plus the codeine will really mess up your gut.

Add greek yogurt to freem's list. I just found some nummy coconut kefir at Vitamin Cottage last night. I bought the plain and I am going to add some vanilla to it. The pre-flavored stuff had a lot of sugar so I passed on that.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'd go with Probios and electrolytes and offer hay. Oh wait, too many goat threads lately. :lol:

Hope you're feeling better soon MsPony! :hugs