"Git your *&$# over here and bring a gun!"

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
suburbanhomesteader said:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but seriously??!!!

One of the first things my dad taught me when I got my first BB gun was "don't shoot at anything unless you know what you're shooting at at can hit it where you want to hit it".

45 years later I can't think of a time I haven't followed those rules.

I think it needs to be said that it is pretty irresponsible to shoot at moving grass.
I don't think your flaming me, I just believe you had to be there to understand why I did what I did.
I follow the very same rule, but in this case, I watched "it" (hind legs and tail part) run into the ditch,under matted down grass(not tall standing prairie grass that a man could hide behind) and was trying to get to the pipe. I didn't think it would be to wise to get down on my hands and knees,look in the water filled pipe, and THEN try to shoot it. ;)

Sometimes... you just have to let your instincts take over....... If you have to stop and think about it, your gonna lose every time.

suburbanhomesteader

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
suburbanhomesteader :welcome , there is no flaming around here. We all come from different teachings and do things differently. My father also taught me to get a clear shot and know what you are shooting at for sure. That worked well when I lived in town. Out in the country, things are a bit different. I can honestly say, had I not fired into the pack of 'dogs' I might not be well enough to type this now.

Guns are always a touchy subject. I find personally that it really depends on what you know. Urban folks fear gangs, suburban folks fear urban folks and country folks, its a tool. I know personally, if the lady up the road (9 miles away) calls and says " I need help, bring a gun" I bring three. The best piece of advice I got out here is." Call the police when you have to, but don't expect them to save you. They can't get there in time"
Rebecka, thanks for the welcome. I am all for guns and I certainly understanding shooting in self-defense. And if someone asks me to bring a gun, I'll have a few to lend to the cause. But I've had to euthanize a calf mistakenly shot by a deer hunter, and a friend of mine is missing most of his forearm because his dad shot first and asked questions later as my friend was sneaking into the house after curfew one night. It only takes a couple of up-close-and-personal incidents like that to make SURE you can "see the whites of their eyes" (in a manner of speaking) before taking a shot.

SK8RPN, I can understand that you saw the back end going in. Even with a wide-open choke, I would want to know I was going to kill with the first shot. Anyone who's ever gone leopard or buff hunting in Africa knows that sometimes, that's the only one you get.

In any case, I appreciate the opportunity to express my opinion.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
suburbanhomesteader, while your opinion is always appreciated around here ( these people rock btw) we don't always agree and the best part is.. thats okay! We all come varying races, religions , back grounds and life styles. Guns, gun use and gun control are always hot topics, anywhere. We all have a lot to learn from each other. I am by no means a long standing member here, but I know this... your opinion matters.

Since my previous posting the woman I mentioned before actually called. When my husband answered the phone she asked for me. She told me only .. " Help Rebecka, bring a gun" btw , she is in her latter 80's. I brought three. Something for long range, something for short range and something that scatters. When I arrived , ready for action.. there was a possum trapped in her basement :lol: I closed the door, went home and got a live trap and a banana muffin I made that morning. Upon returning , I put the muffin in her microwave for 2 minutes and put it in the live trap. Needless to say, we carried out the very sleepy and full bellied possum in the trap and released him several miles away. Part of using a tool of any kind is knowing when to actually use it.

Sorry to hijack your thread SKR8PN, I just felt that needed to be expressed.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Sorry to hijack your thread SKR8PN, I just felt that needed to be expressed.
Not a hi-jack at all! You brought out a very good point. I have had to use the same tactics to capture a feral cat that refused to leave my shop.

I used tuna fish for bait instead of a banana muffin. :gig

Now ya got me hankerin' for a muffin........ :drool

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I want a muffin too.....

SKR - that was funny.

Suburbanhomesteader - :welcome

Once you been here a while you will find that we are all pretty responsible.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
2dream said:
I want a muffin too.....

SKR - that was funny.

Suburbanhomesteader - :welcome

Once you been here a while you will find that we are all pretty responsible.
what she said

and who has muffins?? is there a blueberry muffin??

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
now blackbird, are you suggesting OFG isn't responsible? I'ld step in and tell you different, but knowing a little about OFG, I know that is totally unnecessary....

Run, Blackbird, Run!!!! OFG's gonna be here in a minute ...(sound familiar? I heard you got your butt kicked the other night - couldn't believe you were brave enough and/or foolhardy enough to tangle with women on that subject :th:th)

OFG, when you are done teaching Blackbird his manners, come on over for muffins. zuke muffins with choc chips, natch.

Y'all are welcome to0, that was one buick sized zuke, so theres plenty of muffins.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! i dunno maybe all my responsibility has fallen out lately.....you know i'm a little crazy when it comes to varmints! ha!

zucch choco chip muffins?!?! i'm comin' right over! whooot!

Latest posts