gluten free bakers, I have questions... :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I hasve been gluten free for over a year now, and never really missed bread, so I never made any. But now my girlfriend is trying to go GF,, and in order to buy gf bred, it cost her about$7 a loaf. WEll, I told her I could make it for alot less than that, so I started experimenting with gluten free bread. I ahve made two loaves so far. Different recipes. Both have very nice crumb, but the outside crust is very hard, and both loaves feel very dense. I ahve read the tips on how to get a lighter fluffier bread, using club soda instead fo water,using eggs, etc. Is there anything I am missing? What combinations fo flours do you use? Which one main flour is best for bread? Do you have a favourite recipe?

Thank you.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am still using mixes (Bob's Red Mill GF being my favorite) to make my GF Bread. One tip that I have is to always use more eggs than the recipe calls for. The egg helps the bread hold the rise and makes a lighter loaf.

Baking GF still bugs me. :/ I was an awesome baker with wheat flour. I had quite a following on my rolls, cinnamon rolls and sliced white breads. Now I can't even handle wheat flour without developing a wheeze and a sore throat. I have a LOT to learn - like starting over from the beginning - baking GF.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
What flours did you use in the recipes you tried MTN? I don't have any answers but would rather like to learn along as well. DH is now wanting homemade bread rather than storebought and I need GF so rather than learning how to make what he can eat, I'd rather find something good that we can both enjoy.

Are you aiming for a sandwhich type loaf bread or just any GF bread? I saw some interesting barley bread recipes that I thought would be fun to try. Cross contamination levels are not a problem for me, just the actualy wheat and gluten.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are a few from my recipe book, I did not copy where the recipes came from so I don't know who to give credit :hide I have found that I don't care for the mainly white or sweet rice flour recipes but more for the sorghum and others, sometimes I will try a loaf with bobs all purpose mix for the flour measurements and it turns out well. I am sure you know not to overmix, they mix more like a quick bread rather than a yeast bread and I tend to add a hair extra baking powder if a recipe calls for it and that helps with lift.

EASY GLUTEN-FREE SANDWICH BREAD RECIPE

2 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients

1 3/4 cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs

1. In a small bowl, combine water and yeast. Stir to combine.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Add yeast mixture, vegetable oil and eggs.
4. Using an electric mixer, mix dough for five minutes on medium-high speed.
5. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with vegetable spay.
6. Spread batter evenly into the pan.
7. Lightly grease a piece of plastic wrap and cover the pan.
8. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
10. Bake dough for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208-211F.
11. Remove bread from oven and allow it to cool in the pan for five minutes.
12. After five minutes, turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I had this written down as MUST TRY but I have not yet.

Getting a gluten-free loaf to look and taste like one made with wheat involves weird ingredients. The latest helper is psyllium husk, a fiber that acts more like gluten than tapioca starch. Not cheap, but it keeps well.

4 tsp soya flour
50g potato starch
300g cornflour
1 tsp xanthan gum
25g psyllium husk powder
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp vinegar
15ml sunflower oil, plus extra for brushing
2 tbsp yogurt
325ml warm water
30ml milk

Put the dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk the liquid separately, then mix the two really well for a minute, until they come together into a soft dough. Leave for an hour, then, using a lightly oiled worktop and hands, shape into rolls or into a baton for a tin loaf. Cover and leave for an hour and a half, until almost doubled.

Gluten-free dough doesn't have spring, so a very hot oven helps - 245C (220C fan-assisted)/475F/gas mark 9. Brush the top of the dough with oil and bake for 25 minutes (rolls) or 50 minutes (large tin loaf). Remove from the oven, and from the tin or tray, and leave to cool on a wire rack, covered with a cloth - this helps keep the bread soft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is one to try!
http://gfrealfood.com/2010/01/15/kims-whole-grain-gf-df-bread-simplified-version/ It looks super yummy on her blog.

I still have not stopped looking for the perfect loaf, but thankfully our allergic child rarely asks for bread anymore.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The first loaf was from a mix called Duinkerken. It was very thick, like dumplins when I scooped it into the loaf pans. The second one I just used GF AP flour with this recipe. http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/finally-really-good-sandwich-bread/ This one poured into the loaf pans. Both came out of the oven hard. The insides wer moist, but very dense and heavy.

I am looking for a sandwich bread. I am going to try those loaves, but I'll have to go to the bulk food store to get the flours. i will report back.

I still bake regular stuff all the time, I love baking!!!! I do alot of sourdough, but I also do regular loaves of bread. My family loves that I bake so much. Now I need to master the gf bread for my friend.

Latest posts