Glycerol???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't glycerol used to make soap??? the only reason I ask is there is a post on my local craigslist where a man is looking to give away glycerol that is a bi product of his biodiesel production. Is it usable????

kyrochka

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! This is pretty neat, Smithx9. Does anyone know how to make lye?

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
HI...it is so much easier just to purchase your lye from a source....at this time I can still find 16 ounce containers at my local grocery store
(never use Draino!!)....however....if it does get to the point that you/we need to be that much more self-sufficient....her is a great description of how to make you own lye....I may just try it myself!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye

Ain't the internet great....you can find anything you want on line somewhere....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never made my own soap. I will read that link you posted thanks. The guy said he had like 75 gallons. I can't imagine needing that much. Hummm???

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Making your own soap is really enjoyable! You can use the basic ingredients in your own kitchen...I started making soap when my oldest daughter did a science project on the chemistry of soap making..Have not used store bought soap since!

According to the post at e-how, you can use a couple of gallons glycerol at a time.

Take a big jump! Make some soap! e-mail me privately for some other links for great soap making tips if you'ld like..