GMO studies???

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But I know I have read news articles about GMO food that has been created by using genes from a different species to achieve certain qualities. Of course I can't name any of them now, but seems like I recall fish genes being used in some fruit for some quality. Are these experimental only? Or just fairy tales maybe?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
But I know I have read news articles about GMO food that has been created by using genes from a different species to achieve certain qualities. Of course I can't name any of them now, but seems like I recall fish genes being used in some fruit for some quality. Are these experimental only? Or just fairy tales maybe?
There is one well-documented try at creating a transgenic genetically modified organism (GMO) in the early 90s--many people refer to the "fish tomato" when they talk about how GMO is messing with nature and evil, however the fish tomato never made it to market: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tomato

Most genetically modified organisms are modified in order to resist herbicides/pesticides and for disease resistance and longer keeping qualities.

There is a partial list at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_crops#Examples_of_genetically_modified_crops the rest of the article is a good read as well.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Nope I was dead wrong, some idiot managed to transfer a gene from a flounder into a tomato so the tomato could be kept refrigerated to extend its shelf life. The USDA jumped on that pretty hard and it wasnot even allowed to be field tested, it changed the direction of most research projects. The next generation of GMO will not have the transgene in the pollen that could be blown around and it will give the seed producer long term control. A patent is only 17 years but a trade secret is as long as you can keep it secret [KFC, Coke etc]
I am sorry about the mistake I posted, The fish story was before I became interested in GMOs and frankly I thought that it was an anti- GMO 'fish story'. Thanks moolie for the correction and reference.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything I've read has said they isolated the genes from BT bacteria and added them to the corn to make BT corn. That was the only thing that had popped into my mind right away since we are talking about crops.

No I'm not offended or anything. I just can't find anything that says otherwise even.

ETA. Please if you have something that says otherwise I'd love to read it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Everything I've read has said they isolated the genes from BT bacteria and added them to the corn to make BT corn. That was the only thing that had popped into my mind right away since we are talking about crops.

No I'm not offended or anything. I just can't find anything that says otherwise even. Well I am in over my head but It seems strange to me that BT is considered ORGANIC when applied by man but Frankenfood if the plant makes it's own! ~gd

ETA. Please if you have something that says otherwise I'd love to read it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my garden, I avoid even hybrids because I want to be able to save seeds. It's that whole SS thing. What happens if you don't have access to a seed catalog when you need it? And it's just exciting to have the chance of discovering a mutant that tastes better, stores better, etc.

I have a technical background and a PhD in biochemistry and I'm surprised at the emphasis people put on organic/non-GMO on the basis of health. GMO crops and big-ag are a problem on so many levels. Let's not just talk about the health part. There are economic, moral, historical, and SS reasons to object to GMO.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
I have a technical background and a PhD in biochemistry and I'm surprised at the emphasis people put on organic/non-GMO on the basis of health. GMO crops and big-ag are a problem on so many levels. Let's not just talk about the health part. There are economic, moral, historical, and SS reasons to object to GMO.
There are those other reasons. Why not point Blaundee toward some resources (e.g., web sites, books) about those?