Go "Green" and just hang it up!

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've got a couple wooden folding racks for inside - the little things go on these no matter the weather. My clothesline is in our screened porch, although I'd rather it out in the sun.

The only drawback I have is the summers are so stinky humid that the clothes can smell bad and start mildewing before they dry; so it's inside or dryer those times. Attics are super for drying if easily accessible!

I like your setups.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to make the leap to line drying, tho I'm not quite sure that it's allowed here... of course... not that it REALLY matters because not many people follow the subdivision rules anyways, nor do any of us know how to change them because the company that "enforces" the rules is no longer a company, nor can we figure out who would actually come check on us anyways... :lol:

I don't think I could give up my towels being dryer dried, or my underwear outside... Just something about someone other than my husband seeing my undergarments doesn't sit well with me.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only drawback I have is the summers are so stinky humid that the clothes can smell bad and start mildewing before they dry; so it's inside or dryer those times. Attics are super for drying if easily accessible!
And I have exactly the opposite problem - my laundry line is on my covered deck, so also not in the sun, but it works quite well in the summer. In winter here the air is so damp and cool that the clothes mildew before they dry - in fact, they don't dry at all! So it is the dryer or my small inside rack during those months.
When I lived in Germany, in a big city apartment, the attic was communal space, and had lines set up for all the inhabitants. I think all/most apartment buildings there have that set up, either in the attic or in the basement.

staythirsty

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I rented up to a good portion of my life until I bought my first house at age 43 in 2003. One of the things I really wanted to do was to hang my clothes out on a line. So I bought the house that I'm currently in now and the first thing I did was to string some clothesline from the house to the nearest tree. Of course, as a child my mother and all in the neighborhood hung out clothes all the time. No one owned dryers at that time. One of my favorite things is to hang the sheets outside for line drying. There's nothing like the smell of fresh bedsheets hung outside. I'll hang out sheets and other delicates down to temps in the 30s, until it's too cold and they freeze. In the colder weather sometimes I just put stuff right on their hangers and hang them on the shower rod to dry. Our summers are humid but the clothes and sheets can dry in about an hour in the really hot humid weather so I just take them off right away.

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last summer when we had fleas, we had to wash EVERYTHING and we hung it all on its proper hangers and put it out on the swing-sets to dry. I was starting to worry that people would start stopping to check out our "garage sale", but otherwise everything worked out great. Unfortunately the swing-sets are shaded, so I quit putting the laundry out there when it started taking more than an afternoon to dry.

I have had this idea for a couple of years now, to put hanging poles on the rafters of the basement, near the furnace, and let the heat of the furnace dry lighter items. But now we are getting a high-efficiency furnace, so I don't know how that will work out.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If it's warm in your basement, I'd say hang away. I've dried plenty of clothes in my basement. It doesn't have to be super hot down there. Right now, I don't have a line up since I'm in the middle of rearranging things, but when it's all done, they'll be a line up again.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I had lines criss-crossing my apartment in Long Beach for years when I was in my 20's. I couldn't see the point in paying to dry my clothes when I had sunlight streaming in the big plate glass window all day!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need sunlight to dry clothes. The only spot I have for a clothesline is on my covered deck, so they don't get much sun, but they dry just fine ... in the summer, when it is warm. In the winter here it is cool and damp, and nothing dries, even under cover; it just mildews. But, our summers are not humid (just our winters :(); if you have high humidity perhaps sun and/or wind is a necessity. Had I a basement I would certainly put a line down there ... but basements are few and far between out west.

vclark321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have an indoor line that I use. I did have one of the umbrella ones and it broke and I exchanged it. The second one broke too, so I gave up. I just strung a line from one side of the room to the other and it works great! I have learned how to hang laundry creatively. In the summer I have a line between 2 trees and that works too.

homestead wanna be

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are moving to a bigger back yard and I can't wait to line dry. Are clothes pins still around?

Latest posts