Goat ate chicken food yesterday, MUCH BETTER~Song added....

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could try the vegitable oil - note the person who said it's always worked for them. Just a preference thing, maybe?

Is it possible she ate some hay in between yesterday and when you went out there? Since it's past morning meal time she may have filled her rumen with hay which is why it looks bigger.

Just trying to think best case scenario for you! :hugs

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Any chance of making a long cone and listening to her gut?
Kind of an old fashioned stethoscope thing?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well the battery to the Jeep is dead.

BB I guess you don't know I'm pretty much deaf, can't hear her tummy. Don't feel much action there though. She isn't really chewing her cud, I think she is making some mouth motions because of the flavor of the baking soda or something. She seems somewhat morose, and every now and then is stretching her body out like I saw her do during labor.

I'm getting her to move around but it is mostly from one stall to another, it is, of course, raining cats and dogs here right now. She is looking at me like the torturer, "You want me walk out THERE?"

I could have hubby come home and get mineral oil if this is an emergency.

Or I could give vegetable oil. I only have a small syringe though, This would be fun.

I'm waiting to hear back from Hubby. Maybe he can just come home for lunch. that is what time it is here.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Well the battery to the Jeep is dead.

BB I guess you don't know I'm pretty much deaf, can't hear her tummy. Don't feel much action there though. She isn't really chewing her cud, I think she is making some mouth motions because of the flavor of the baking soda or something. She seems somewhat morose, and every now and then is stretching her body out like I saw her do during labor.

I'm getting her to move around but it is mostly from one stall to another, it is, of course, raining cats and dogs here right now. She is looking at me like the torturer, "You want me walk out THERE?"

I could have hubby come home and get mineral oil if this is an emergency.

Or I could give vegetable oil. I only have a small syringe though, This would be fun.

I'm waiting to hear back from Hubby. Maybe he can just come home for lunch. that is what time it is here.
Shoot, I forgot! What about your son?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I already tried to wake him up pounding on his door. He must have worked late last night. I got his dog to bark but that is all. He is a deep sleeper, and isn't good with this kind of thing, he is my techy son who works nights via internet, tweeking websites for people. He prefers cats. I could probably scream and wake him up but don't want to alarm him that much.

My other son, younger son would be the one able to GIVE the baking soda, he is my animal-tender but he is at school for a few more hours.

Should I be encouraging hay? It is raining so hard right now I'm trying to wait to put it down there, it will get wet on the way and then Ginger won't eat it even if she were feeling fine. But I could maybe roll some up in a blanket or find a bucket with a lid......they have hay but she always likes the freshest from the bale. Ginger is the herd queen.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you against trying the vegitable oil? It might work in a pinch situation - I know half says never to use it and half says it's fine. I'm not sure which half I'm on....I have mineral oil so for me it's not a question, but if I didn't have any and really didn't have any means to I'd probably give the veggie oil a try.

A smaller syringe will work fine - just bring a cup of it with you and get as much down as you can.

I always thought that Probios would be a good thing to put in their stomach in a situation like this, but I was told you don't want to put too many good things in there when the bad are reeking havoc. They said to wait until the bad stuff is mostly out, then concentrate on putting the good stuff back in.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
well I was just going to march out there and try vegetable oil but I see her starting to chew her cud. I can see her through the window. She looks more relaxed in the face too. She is lying down but so is everyone. What does a normal goat do during a downpour? Pout and chew their cud in a corner, so she is looking more normal to me. Gosh that big belly an hour ago had me worried.

I'm going to see if hubby can just come home early today and bring some mineral oil I think unless she starts looking so acute again. I read that about the vegetable oil, it is silly I didn't have mineral oil on hand it is so cheap.

I'm going down again to check her more closely and offer some dry fine hay, her favorite and see how she looks closer up.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
well I was just going to march out there and try vegetable oil but I see her starting to chew her cud. I can see her through the window. She looks more relaxed in the face too. She is lying down but so is everyone. What does a normal goat do during a downpour? Pout and chew their cud in a corner, so she is looking more normal to me. Gosh that big belly an hour ago had me worried.

I'm going to see if hubby can just come home early today and bring some mineral oil I think unless she starts looking so acute again. I read that about the vegetable oil, it is silly I didn't have mineral oil on hand it is so cheap.

I'm going down again to check her more closely and offer some dry fine hay, her favorite and see how she looks closer up.
If she is chewing her cud, then I would let her be, and not stress her out any more.
If you can see her from the house, then just peek at her every 1/2 hour or so.
Good job processing through everything!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that's a good route to go. IMO - no need to have hubby come home early (unless you want him to :) ). If she gets really bad, sure.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Okay, picture this everyone.....

I trudge out through the gale force winds to the hay and pick out the nicest pieces and cover it all up and drag it out to the goat barn. Ginger sees me approaching :D, eyeing me suspiciously. :(

I set the hay down and see she is chewing her cud. :thumbsup Baking soda is helping! I decide maybe a little more baking soda is warranted and battle this down her. She is giving me looks that kill :somad and I can tell she is wishing I would just go away. :smack But I decide to feel her belly and kinda started rubbing her sides a little with one hand and put the other on her chest area so she won't leap up and leave. About this point Emilee and Buckley decide to play king-of-the-mountain on poor Ginger and I and they hop from my back right onto her tummy in a big heap. Apparently the added weight was all it took, because a big ol' gulp of air moved up her windpipe and came out in what I think was a belch. Can goats burp? This one was so big I FELT it! :lol:

She got up, went over to the hay I set out and start nosing around in it. She didn't push everyone out of the way so I still need to keep an eye on her, but I think that big ol' burp really helped.

I think I'll just have him bring me some mineral oil and not even worry about giving it unless things change. And we need to devise a new way to latch that door so this never happens again.

Perhaps I should research feeding whole grains so I don't have to concern myself with this as much.

thanks for your help everyone, but I think that big ol burp was a sign she is on the mend.