Goat castration day....got video?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So we are castrating the bucklings this weekend, hopefully today.

We are using the banding method. We have read the directions a few times but we were wondering if anyone has a video or a link to one?

We also just read Fias Co farms recommendations about not using this method. She says it is inhumane. However all methods sound rather painful. We already have this tool and want to use it as humanely as possible. Any tips or suggestions helpful....we cannot wait any longer as the bucklings are trying to mate my doeling.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks, that was a good suggestion. I found one and it seems like the goat does not even cry in it? Doesn't look too bad. I know that anesthesia is not that safe for goats so I don't think any method is going to be exactly pleasant.

Some sites say they may be in pain for several hours using this method.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We did accomplish the deed. We copied the method seen in that video and it went rather well. At first they seemed to have little or no pain. However about an hour later, they were uncomfortable and did not eat their hay, only nursed. This morning they are fine, except the smaller one doesn't seem to like to scratch his head with his back leg, it must be painful for him to stretch.

I do not think this was comfortable for them but I don't expect castration to ever be comfy. We are just watching for everything to progress and fall off as expected in two weeks.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Back when my mom and dad were still alive, they raised a couple of steers for meat. My mom was strolling through the orchard one day, and found "the drops". She though it was so neat, that she showed them to ALL of her friends and neighbors. :lol: :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds like something I would have done!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To each his own on the "humane"-ness of each castration method.

I, too, will be banding my little buckling in a few weeks. I have the banding tool and bangs so that's the method I'm going to use. I'd like to try the burdizzio but just don't want to buy one at this moment since I only have 1 boy to do. I asked my vet what she thought and she said cutting is the only method she prefers because she KNOWS the testicles are out and there's no chance anything was retained. I almost passed out when she explained the process....there's NO WAY I'm doing that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My dad cut our bucklings when I was a kid. Mom held them upside down....or brother.....on her lap and held the hind legs out. Dad cut quickly. Using the sharpest knife is not recommended....more bleeding. We had one that slept on some towels by the woodstove all day....then recovered perfectly, grew up to be big enough for freezer camp. :/

I'm thinking bander, too. But there is such a market here for intact bucklings, I may just keep them intact...I have 2-3 months to decide, at any rate.