goat drying up suddenly! New Update!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Leta said:
My only experience with drying off is with myself, so all I can suggest is to put the kid back in with her, make sure her water is especially appealing, and be extra nice. That helped my milk supply rebound. (Full disclosure: I am not a goat.)

Seriously, I am watching this thread with much curiosity. I hope someone can solve it.

BTW, what is "HD"?
health department :somad

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Try the backyardherds forum. They have a very active goat section.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She may be coming in heat. Milk production declines when they are.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Back up to 3 cups this morning. Will work on pulling baby at night about 1/2 an hour early each day, rather then all at once.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used fenugreek seed for myself when I was nursing my babies - so I toss in a little in each feeding for my does. I don't really measure it, likely 2-3 teaspoons each time. Fenugreek is a known golactalogue (I'm pretty certain I made a mess of that spelling). It certainly won't hurt her and fenugreek has some nutritional benefits as well - it might help increase or at least keep the supply up.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ok! So I pulled the baby again full time again, with the same results. Almost no milk.
So I started giving her Blessed Thistle. 1/2 cup per milking. I do have Fenugreek, buts its powdered, and she hates it.
Almost up to 4 cups per milking again :ya
I'll scale back to 1/4 cup starting Friday. That should be enough to keep up the pace.

Shoot, we were thinking of finding an additional milker asap with the way things were going there for awhile!