Goat/hay/poo question

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought more hay and ended up with the best leafy green alfalfa hay ever...but it's causing clumpy poo because it's so rich. I'm going to cut it with some of the old stemmy brown hay, but is there anything else you goat experts would do?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I just wouldn't feed quite as much, or feed smaller amounts until they get used to it. :) Sounds like nice hay though!

ETA: And I would definitely give them some grass hay as well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never feed alfalfa unless it is such a horrible grazing/feeding condition I can correct. it is a waste of money in my mind cause I feed regular old good grass hay to everything, and they do wonderful.

you think you are doing a good thing but goats, horses, etc. don't usually have access to 'what we can buy for them' on the market.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you can mix some with the old stuff - any change will set them into a tizzy.

when we get a new supply of hay - even from the same guy - we mix half old with half new just to make sure.

the alfalfa will get you the best milk results - which is why thats all my gals get. even if its a mix they will pick thru and pull out the alfalfa and just wasted the rest. we gave up and now its all we feed.

you can offer some baking soda and if they stop eating be sure to give them some b1. its easy peasy

:)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) FWIW, FC - alfalfa is what we feed around here. It's easy to find, cheap ($3 a bale) and works great for milking goats. I have no grazing area either. Grass hay is what gets wasted. I have 10 bales left that they won't touch.
our alfalfa is mostly alfalfa, with a little grass and weeds.
I'll dig out a bale of the old brown alfalfa and feed it this evening and switch on and off.

Baking soda. Forgot about that.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
repeating my question here...sorry for hijacking Javamama!!

100_0473.jpg

Thought she was a bottle baby - really did! Bought milk replacer, nipples, and started feeding her the bottle - I had to pry her mouth open to take it. She took 2 oz's the first night, 3 the next morning, and somehow over the course of the second day I got her up to 4 ounces 3x's a day, but by Sunday she completely refused the milk on me. Literally fought me on the bottle.

She's eating hay, goat feed, drinking water from a bowl, and eating grasses from the yard. I'm hoping she will be OK with refusing the milk!!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL, we are chasing each other around the forum Aly :lol:

Latest posts