Goat Jail (PIX)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After losing sweet little "Fern" to a Bobcat, it made us build something that would make it much harder for a Bobcat to get the three remaining kids.

Well, it is not much to look at. But, it is very strong and hopefully secure.

Here is the front while it was still in the process of being covered with a double layer of chicken wire.
6282011GoatPen002email.jpg

Here it is finished with the remaining three kids inside.

6282011GoatPen11smaller.jpg

Around the bottom there is a layer of pallets, then inside there is a layer of double chicken wire, wired on the metal framework. The doors are covered with a double layer of 1/4 inch hardware cloth. On the top, half is a layer of 2inch by 4inch stock fencing with chicken wire on it, the other half is 1 inch ply wood secured with heavy duty wire, bolts and nuts. To hold it in place are heavy duty metal fence posts. It is not going anywhere!

This will be their "nite nite" bed. It is pretty big really, about 8ft x 8ft. The kids have plenty of room.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be making something more secure for my goats and chickens soon. One reason I want to move my goats out to the farm is because we have coyotes in the woods next to me, and my goat pen is next to the woods. I'm afraid if we have another harsh winter, a yote would figure they were an easy meal.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's great and it can be used for all types of stuff - kidding, separating someone from the herd if they're sick, the time out room....

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry the bobcat got the kid. :(

Thanks for sharing this though, and it looks very strong! I'm getting ready to move my goats back to the pasture at night, and will probably make something similar. Thank you!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
They should be safe in there!

Can bobcats be trapped and relocated?
I have lived here since 1975 and it has only been the past few years that I remember hearing about Bobcats being here in town. Could be the populations are growing, or here lately due to the fires they may have come down out of the mountians looking for food. There are quite a few preditors here in the Southwestern USA.