Goat meat is sooooo goood....

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I finally have a freezer full of goat meat again and have started making recipes again- first made oven barbequed ribs, then some shanks but my favorite is goat burger.
I mix ground goat with onions, rosemary, oregano, thyme (because I put thyme in everything,) and pressed garlic to make a hamburger. Tastes just like a gyro. No excess fat. Yum Yum

If anyone has some good goat meat recipes, I do love to collect them. If you want some, I have a few to share too. But a lot of my recipes are the throw-in-bit-of -this-or-handfull-of-that kind.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
oooohhh..... Bad typo!!! :gig

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm still laughing at that one!!!! I'll edit my post too.

I have never had goat meat. I want to try it some day.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I do wonder why there isn't more goat raised for meat. I only have 2 1/2 acres and half of that is redwoods but I can still raise my own meat. Couldn't have a cow without it standing up to its belly in churned up mud. Could get milk too if I wanted.
I admit it took a little to getting used to it but now I prefer it over anything else by far. The only trouble is that you do have to be hardhearted otherwise you end up with a million adorable goaties.
It helps not to neuter the boys- eventually most boys get stinky and pushy. and some downright nasty.
The girls are mostly my pets though- they have a retirement plan and health insurance too. Because they make me laugh.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I had two nubians. I had to sell them though, b/c our fence would not hold them, and I couldn't convince my dh to drink goat milk. I had planned on milking the girls and eating their offspring, but it was not meant to be. We have just under 3 acres. I do plan on getting a dexter cow for milk and meat--hopefully this spring. with our two horses, and a dexter--we would be at our limit as to what our property could hold, and still would have to supplement with some hay.

With dh bing a hunter--we are all openminded as far as eating different types of meat. I have to say that deer is my least favourite, but I still eat it. I was told goat tastes similar to lamb, but without much of the fat. Would you say this is true?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do they taste anything like deer meat? How bout sheep? Do they taste anything like deer? I'm contemplating raising my own sheep for market and maybe for consumption but would probably process it just like I do my deer....tenderloin butterfly steaks and ground meat for the rest.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are right ETR
goat meat is wonderful. I honestly do not know why in middle class america type people do not eat this meat as much as they should.

more latino and other groups love goat and it is more of a staple. but not here really.

I love it smoked. Tony gets some big cuts and smokes it slow and hot and YUMMY! makes great BBQ also.

I am like you....I don't have recipes for meat dishes really. I grill, smoke, stiry fry and things like that and add some of this and some of that.

being less fat, it is so important NOT to overcook goat. That is where the big line is drawn, it dries out so fast and can become leather. So for me, best advice to anyone regarding goat, don't overcook.

good eating definitely!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to try goat, but don't know of a place to buy it around here.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The Oprah show (you can tell I was really lazy today) has a show on healthy aging and mention goat milk was better in many respects than cow milk. That was real progress that it was even mentioned. The doctor there said that goat milk is frequently tolerated by lactose intolerant people due to the molecular structure of goat milk being so much smaller than cow. Even mentioned you could get it at most grocery stores.
A real step up the respect ladder for goats.

mis_thenorth- that is one of the things I love about Boers- they generally do not trouble themselves to get over a fence. Might seem like work- at least that is true for mine.

Beekissed- I've never eaten deer so don't know. To me it tasted a little like lamb but nowhere near so fatty. But I have heard it described lots of different ways.

Latest posts