Goat milk and cream separators

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I did an eBay search for "cream separator goat", I checked the box for including the description in the search, and found about 30 results. They are all relatively expensive (over $150 with shipping), all were from eastern Europe, and the electric ones were wired for European electricity (although converters are available). So it would seem that $75 may be a good deal. I'll be interested in how it turns out if you do buy one.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if this info is any help to you but we used to have a centifuge cream seperator for our cows and it worked on mare's milk! Long story that I won't go into. If the cream will rise in goats milk I am fairly sure that a centifuge cream seperator will work. You may have to dump the milk through a few times to get all the cream out. draw backs you need at least a quart of milk to run the machine we had. you had to crank like crazy to get it up to speed (but I suppose they have motors now) cleaning it properly was a real pain as it contained all these cones that spun to seperate the milk from the cream.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I make butter using a kitchen aid mixer.
The first time I tried I used a blender, and that might work but it depends on your actual machine. Mine got really hot, so by the time that it might have formed into butter, it was too hot to do so, the fat globules combine best at lower temperatures.
Using a kitchen aid mixer with the hook shaped attachment worked best, because it didn't heat it up directly. I always put a towel over it in case it started getting a little sloppy.
Mine took longer than 15 minutes, more like 45 minutes, but I usually do enough to get 2 pounds + of butter, then freeze what I don't need right away.

omelay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we have both separators. The cheap $75 model and the $200 dollar model. the cheap one is worth $45 and the expensive one is worth $300 no kidding...

we have manual versions because people complained about the electric versions that lived in the U.S.

I hope this helps

omelays.blogspot.com

boxermom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Omelay, Have you used your separators with goats milk? I'm trying to decide if it is worth spending the money. I don't want to spend that much not to have it do what I need it to.